Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Access Denied!

Default Re: Access Denied!

You make some valid points dugi, so let me explain my rationale.

Unfortunately, it would seem I have already been appointed support person, like it or not, and the reason Iím changing them over to Linux is to avoid the continual problems they are having with various versions of Windows, but especially Win 10, thus reducing my workload.

They are all elderly with only very basic requirements, so send and receive E-Mails, browse the Internet, talk to the Garandies on Skype, and store a few photos is all they want or need.

All those things can be easily achieved with Linux and if you put the Icons back in the same place on the desktop they wouldnít have a clue what OS they were running.

Now my rationale was only good to a point, because the owners of the five computers Iíve converted are telling their mates how trouble free they are, and that wasnít part of the plan.

I first tried Linux back in 2006 (using a Dick Smith ubuntu disk which I still have) and declared it hopeless. It wasnít until September last year, after all sorts of problems with Win 10, that I revisited
    Linux and found it great. It had come a long way in ten years. The basic things were easy, and with the help of people on this forum even the more difficult were achieved.

Anyway, Iím as happy as a dog with two tails with the Mint version of Linux, but just hope the rumour suggesting that if you visit B.M. with your computer under one arm and a box of stubbies under the other heíll fix your computer doesnít get traction. Bring the Stubbies by all means, but leave the computer at home.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

BM the BIOS -- F1 https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...to-lenovo-bios

The UEFI will stop the computer from booting from most media, unless there's an option to select a boot menu, and select certain Media /Drive. Normally to work around that you have to log into the BIOS, change it to legacy boot, then boot from what ever media you are using, but you need to put the BIOS back other wise the OS wont boot as it should.

The NOVO button, normally top left - a very small button just in front of the left hinge may have a arched arrow.

FYI the updates in W10 -- The next version out very soon has the option to turn them off.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Y

They are all elderly with only very basic requirements, so send and receive E-Mails, browse the Internet, talk to the Garandies on Skype, and store a few photos is all they want or need.

All those things can be easily achieved with Linux and if you put the Icons back in the same place on the desktop they wouldnít have a clue what OS they were running.
    Have to agree with that.
    The reason I stuck with MS so long was gaming.

Win7 will be my last one, Win10 can go f*** itself.
    wipe your paws.

Thanks for that Wainui, Iíve bookmarked the page and will reappraise things should the computer ever return.

It did strike me odd though that the F1 key enters the BIOS? What key is help? Iíve got to be missing something surely.

I wonder how long it will be before Car Manufactures follow suit and change the pedals around every model?

Actually, I got caught in my Contracting days by a Drott I had purchased. As you may, or may not know, some track machines have a de-accelerator not an accelerator. This means you open the hand-throttle and slow the thing to an idle by pushing the de-accelerator with your foot.

Great, but I had bought a rough bit of land and thought Iíd use my own Drott on the weekends to clear it. Normally it had an experienced operator, but hey it was my Drott and My farm and it would give me experience with these things.

Well things were going fine, but one day as I was pushing Kanuka over a bank when I swear a zillion Wetaís came out of one of them and landed on the hot bonnet. Well that didnít please them and I wound up covered in them. Unfortunately, whilst trying to brush them off my foot came off the de-accelerator and over the bank full throttle we went.

Hours later I had an unplanned track, because I had to dig my way out as it was not possible to get out the way I came in.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Kanuka/Manuka make great honey, so those Wetas' would be pretty fit, after eating that scrub.

It did strike me odd though that the F1 key enters the BIOS? What key is help? I’ve got to be missing something surely.
    Nope you got nothing wrong.

Been MANY times fingers on F1, F2, esc, or F5, F9, F10, F11, F12 --------- Ones got to work

Actually, I got caught in my Contracting days by a Drott I had purchased. As you may, or may not know, some track machines have a de-accelerator not an accelerator. This means you open the hand-throttle and slow the thing to an idle by pushing the de-accelerator with your foot.
    Nope didn't know that - be a real gotya if you didn't know.

YEARS ago, when I was around 7-10 - wont say how many years that was, taking off shoes and wont be enough to count along with fingers. Anyway, years ago when some mates fathers were racing Stockcars, we had trollies made of steal, we would race down certain hills, firebreaks, no breaks apart from feet on the ground, real Fred Flintstone - (try that today and all hell would break lose), One mates father some how screwed up the steering - most had ropes tied to the front axels to steer, but not this guy.

The trick -- Turning the steering wheel to the LEFT but the wheels went RIGHT -- Made for some interesting moments
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Win7 will be my last one, Win10 can go f*** itself.
    You girls are getting quite explicit.

Thatís what my late mates widow reckons too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Kanuka/Manuka make great honey, so those Wetas' would be pretty fit, after eating that scrub.
    All was not lost Lurking, the Manuka was the best for smoking Marlin.

Hell I'm reminiscing now.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    It did strike me odd though that the F1 key enters the BIOS? What key is help? I’ve got to be missing something surely.

I wonder how long it will be before Car Manufactures follow suit and change the pedals around every model?
    Yeah, it p*sses me off as well.
    F1, F2, F11, F8, F10 ,F12, del, esc . Its like they said , hey just pick A DIFFERENT one of those for the next model we make.
    Can also have ctrl with one of the above, or shift with one of the above etc

MS should have just said, 'if you want to put a Win sticker on that thing, these are the F numbers you MUST use'
    Seems every other laptop or PC I see, I now have to google to find how to get into bios , or get to boot menu etc.

and a

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    YEARS ago, when I was around 7-10 - wont say how many years that was, taking off shoes and wont be enough to count along with fingers. Anyway, years ago when some mates fathers were racing Stockcars, we had trollies made of steal, we would race down certain hills, firebreaks, no breaks apart from feet on the ground, real Fred Flintstone - (try that today and all hell would break lose), One mates father some how screwed up the steering - most had ropes tied to the front axels to steer, but not this guy.

The trick -- Turning the steering wheel to the LEFT but the wheels went RIGHT -- Made for some interesting moments
    I believe you, because a mate of mine, who was a mechanic, managed to get the drop arm from the steering box on a Vanguard (from memory) on the bottom not the top which did exactly the same thing. What’s worse, he left it like that for weeks inviting mates to test drive his car.

And as a bonus, he somehow got the crown-wheel on the wrong side of the Pinion in the differential of an old Chev (I think) truck, which gave it three reverse gears and one forward, which in turn raised the question “Was this thing manufactured in Italy”? (Senior Citizens will get it}

But, I’ve also got another mechanic mate who somehow managed to get a E93a Manifold (see Prefects avatar) on upside-down, plus drop two batteries in a day, who went onto become an “A” grade Mechanic and become a Tutor for Ford in both America and England.

Man I’ve lived in a great era.
    Last edited by B.M.; 16-03-2017 at 07:06 PM.