Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Access Denied!

Default Re: Access Denied!

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Whoa, are you saying the "Documents/My Pictures" Folder is protected along with their counterparts on a backup external drive?

Attachment 7935
    Yes, the "my Pictures" in the Documents folder is a hidden operating system file. ( see below for external HDD)

If you go into the control Panel / File Explorer Options - View Tab - "Hide Protected Operating System Files" will be unticked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Options.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	7936

How ?? - someone will have unticked it (default is hidden). Re-tick it, apply and the folders will disappear along with many others. You can always tell them, they either have "." in front of the name or more easily, the folder will be transparent / Lighter in colour.

Someone at some stage has unticked it. (the box as above)

Altering the files can cause all sorts of trouble, compare it like your Linux OS -- if you go into folders/files that require top level admin rights, a person can really do a lot of damage. ( not a good idea to do it)

The Only Default "Picture" Folder is under the User Name / Pictures.

Try re-hiding the folders, and see if it makes any difference with the external HDD. If the box is unticked it will effect hidden folders on any attached drive /device, phones, cameras included.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 14-03-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

But if it's a Junction Point, should it not act just like an actual directory?

And it should still be accessible to the owner, otherwise the purported use for 'backwards compatibility' for old apps (running as that user) will fail as well, no?

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

"My Pictures", "My Music" etc in XP have been replaced by Pictures, and Music etc.

Pictures for eg. that have been sent to My Pictures (inaccessible and hidden) by some process will be redirected to Pictures. It only gets confusing when those system folders are unhidden and you get "My xxxx" type folders showing.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

If Files / Folders are hidden (esp protected ones) they are done for a reason.

As one other site puts it:
    the important system files and folders are hidden in Windows 10 for a reason (and that’s how it should be) ------ these important system files should be handled with care (unless of course, you deliberately want a non-functioning computer).
    Every OS is the Same, there are some files/ folders a general user should not be allowed easy access to, other wise, they will break the OS.

Theres a difference between Hidden files and protected system files.

Sometimes you can delete hidden files = no problem other times

Example today - Thunderbird profile badly damaged, was in a hidden folder, removed it, recreated another, then put all the mails back.

Deleting System Files often results in a really negative effect unless a person knows what they are doing and can repair/replace them.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    "My Pictures", "My Music" etc in XP have been replaced by Pictures, and Music etc.

Pictures for eg. that have been sent to My Pictures (inaccessible and hidden) by some process will be redirected to Pictures. It only gets confusing when those system folders are unhidden and you get "My xxxx" type folders showing.
    Yes, but the 'some process' is to use junction points, so the different named paths point to the same physical location on disk.
    Hidden or not, both paths still need to be accessible to the user to fulfill the stated goal - which doesn't explain BM's symptoms.
    Gonna blend into the background Gonna float me out to sea
    the Mighty Waves of Nothing Much are washing over me

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    Yes, but the 'some process' is to use junction points, so the different named paths point to the same physical location on disk.
    Hidden or not, both paths still need to be accessible to the user to fulfill the stated goal - which doesn't explain BM's symptoms.
    Not according to Microsoft, they don't want any user accessibility to protected files. If the "hide protected system files" box was ticked then the user would be completely unaware that protected folders like "My Pictures" even existed.

I remember playing around way back several OS's ago, and forcing my way in , but can't remember details now.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Its a 'symbolic link' (google it) . Its NOT the same as shortcut .
    Its NOT a folder .

It can EASILY cause issues when clicking it on a backup drive
    It can EASILY cause issues with backup programs that dont know what to do with it

Win7 works exactly the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    Yep those folders are hidden and are junction points. They are locked for a reason -- if they were altered the person could very easily damaged their Operating system.

Seen it many times, people remove or alter hidden files/folders and then cry fowl because THEY broke the OS.

The following is from XP-Vista, but it applies to W10 as well. message-when-you-try-to-access-the-my-documents,-my-music,-my-pictures,-and-my-videos-folders access-is-denied

As MS state:
    If you change these default settings, the system will become unstable.
    Would a person undo the wheel nuts on their car then complain when the wheels fall off ?? Not the car manufactures fault the person did something dumb.

As to why these are showing in the first place ? Listed the possible causes earlier on Post #6

Because no one has all the information, every thing that was done, any responses can only go on whats given.

Seen Shop Demo Computers simply boxed up and sold cheaper, Harvey Norman did it once, they should have reset it back to factory default, but didn't so still had their own user name, passwords, lock downs etc.

Sorry nothing to report on this guys as the computer was required at home and the transfer of files put on hold for the moment.

However, the computer, from memory, is a Lenovo – ideapad – 500 and I was looking to check the BIOS to see what the Boot order was, but F2, F10, Del etc. didn’t work so I consulted Google.

Well this all new to me, it has a “Lovo Button” apparently which allows you access to the BIOS. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find it prior to the computer being picked up.

I suspect it may be a small hole somewhere and the button is activated with a paper clip or something?????

The reason I was wanting to check the BIOS boot order was I planned boot from a Linux Disk, pick up the files I wanted and plonk them where I wanted. Don’t know if that would work or not because this machine has a UEFI Bios and some of my reading tells me that UEFI won’t work with Linux or Files from pre Windows 8 computers???

I can see a format and "Upgrade" to Linux Mint coming.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

I know you prefer Linux B.M. but installing it on someone elses computer makes you the permanent IT support person for everything they can't figure out how to do from then on - just saying.
    Linux is great for those willing to put the time and effort in to learn how to use it, and if pre-installed is fine for basic computing tasks most people need. However not everyone will be comfortable or happy with it just because you are.

Personally I'd have done what someone suggested earlier and taken it back to the shop to fix, why waste your time and effort on something that should have been supplied working fully. The other option as it's new and likely not had too much put on it yet is just to do a fresh install of windows 10, took me about 15-20 mins from a USB stick last time as per my NAS backup thread. Will probably take a bit longer on a newer PC as there are likely a driver or two to download.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980