Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Access Denied!

Default Access Denied!

A friend has purchased a new Laptop complete with Win10.

However, we canít open folders, even ones on an external Back-Up drive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access Denied.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	7932

Is this yet another feature of Win 10?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: Access Denied!

New computer !!!, take it back to the shop and tell them to open it up to the new owner, now that it has been sold to your friend.

Consumer Goods Act at any rate.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    New computer !!!, take it back to the shop and tell them to open it up to the new owner, now that it has been sold to your friend.

Consumer Goods Act at any rate.

lurking.
    Your right Lurking.

Purchased on the 13th and on my desk on 14th. What the hell did I do to deserve this.

Imagine if you purchased a nice new car and the motor started but it wouldnít go backward or forward.

And here was me thinking if I never saw another Win 10 computer it would still be too soon.

Anyway, here we have a fully qualified Superannuant who has lost her Husband to a Stroke and sheís expected to deal with this nonsense.

Itís not as though she is incapable, being one of the best drivers Iíve ever driven with and still delivering vehicles for one of the Worlds biggest Rental Car Companyís.

On reflection, I might go with her to return it, but stay outside and enjoy the Pantomime.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

1st WHO went into the file option in the control panel and unticked the protected system folders ???

Easily Replicated the message:

Name:	Folders.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	7933

There is nothing wrong with the OS unless its been fiddled with, those are hidden on purpose and the only way they are made visible is to alter that setting. Someone at some stage has changed setting.

Name:	Settings.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	7934

The external Drive could be similar.

Who ever fiddled or thought they know what they are doing, tell them to stop before they really screw things up.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 14-03-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Perhaps taking ownership is required?
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-...in-windows-10/
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Perhaps taking ownership is required?
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-...in-windows-10/
    Only if a person really wants to fowl things up.

They are hidden protected system files (on purpose), not meant to be fiddled with, ALL OS's have them, Windows, Linux, iOS

There's only 3 ways those files will become visible. (my bets on # 2 or 3)

1. Bad Factory install (highly unlikely) as it will have effected hundreds of computers using the same factory Image, and in-house checks will have stopped it.
    2. The Computer was a Store Demo and someone's fiddled with it. It was then packed back up and sold.
    3. Someone has fiddled with it, Who thinks they know what they are doing but doesn't really know.

Seen hundreds of new computers and NEVER seen those protected files showing.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

'My Pictures' is supposed to be a hidden system file?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Only if a person really wants to fowl things up.

They are hidden protected system files (on purpose), not meant to be fiddled with, ALL OS's have them, Windows, Linux, iOS

There's only 3 ways those files will become visible. (my bets on # 2 or 3)

1. Bad Factory install (highly unlikely) as it will have effected hundreds of computers using the same factory Image, and in-house checks will have stopped it.
    2. The Computer was a Store Demo and someone's fiddled with it. It was then packed back up and sold.
    3. Someone has fiddled with it, Who thinks they know what they are doing but doesn't really know.

Seen hundreds of new computers and NEVER seen those protected files showing.
    Whoa, are you saying the "Documents/My Pictures" Folder is protected along with their counterparts on a backup external drive?

Name:	Access Denied.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	7935

Sorry Fred, you beat me to it.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Whoa, are you saying the "Documents/My Pictures" Folder is protected along with their counterparts on a backup external drive?

Name:	Access Denied.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	7935
    Yes of course where have you been all these years They have not been accessible since Vista.

It is explained here for Vista, but the same applies to Win10, 8.1, Win 7 : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-468ee51e9484

Extract: "In Windows Vista, the “My Documents and Settings“, has been replaced by "Users". Each user account will then have Documents, Pictures, videos etc. Note the "My" designation is no longer used. These junction points exist to provide backwards compatibility for older programs that are unaware of the new folder structure in Windows Vista. A program that is hardcoded to install files in the old Documents and Settings will be silently redirected to the new location."
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"