Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Voda's FibreX - yeah or nah?

So last night some dude bangs the door down trying to sell me VF's FibreX.

Because I hold both VF and Spark in mutual contempt I was about to tell him to bugger off, but the dog seemed to being enjoying the interaction so I let him say his bit. Apparently VF have spent 26 million recently in the Lower Hutt / Wainui area to give internet at Fibre speeds, but it's not actually fibre.

(Like anyone's gonna spend 26 million around Wainui, but that's another story.)

He quoted speeds to me blah blah blah and I said to ring me Sunday when I've thought about it.

Currently on VDSL (or is it ADSL?, the faster one) with Spark and presently it's not possible to use the WIFI if the PS4 is on. It appears the PS uses whatever internet-juice that comes thru the cable and there's not enough to run a lappie as well. Turn the PS4 off, lappie connection bursts into life. So I'm not well predisposed to Spark anyway.

Any views on this FibreX from VF? Is it actually The Real Deal, or just more bullshit from someone trying to get business from someone else and after all the crap changing over, I'll be back to square one...

Default Re: Voda's FibreX - yeah or nah?

No Idea about FibreX but your WiFi issues sound like a crap router. I can use my PS3, NAS, PC Via Ethernet well also using the smartphone and tablet over Wi-Fi - all good. Is the PS4 using a WiFi or Ethernet cable connection?

All the main ISPs supply Modem/Routers that they get cheap bulk deals on, exaggerate the value of wildly, and then lock you into 1-2 yr contracts for supplying this cheap hardware "Free". None of them have been particularly good routers and I have always ended up buying a better one except for my current Spark Huawei router which has worked surprisingly well since I went fibre (I still expect it to fail one of these days, call me cynical).
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Pretty sure the PS has a meaty blue cable going into it from the router. Mind you, so does the TV.
    The router was supplied 'free' by Spark when we shifted to VDSL, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was crap.
    However, I know exactly jack about routers and will usually put up with something rubbish than dick around with it as I will invariably go from bad internet to no internet before the coffee goes cold ...

Well I'm in wainui, got their fiberx. No problems just change your router to a decent one.

The issue you have is more than likely a crappy router rather than anything else - is their 'FibreX' a DOCSIS 3.1 type thing? Quite interesting....did they give you any more info on it? it's funny how they are marketing it 'fibre' when it totally isn't...people just think fibre = fast.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

I was already on There cable network. Worked out cheaper to upgrade to the fiberx then what I was paying. I ly reason for changing. Not due to get fiber in the street till next year so no alternative for me.

I'll let ya know later this week. Currently on Vodafone Cable, Plan is 100/10 - Unlimited. Which I can top out if I want.

After reading this thread, Just contacted Vodafone -- Had a nice long chat (they answered after 1 ring), we went through all the Items we have now, Decoders, phones, Mobiles all the extra's etc etc etc, after doing the maths came out the same price.

SO they made up a custom Plan -- Changing over to Fibrex using the existing cable setup, plan is FibrexMAX --download speeds of up to 700-900 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 90-95 Mbps -- Unlimited.

Reminded (jokingly) about the claim of 3 day install otherwise $100 discount .

AND to top it all off because we have been on their system from basically day 1 when it was Paradise - A nice monthly long term customer discount

Now I hope my Router can handle it

Hmmm the router may handle it but most of the switches wont Guess I'm going to have to buy some Gigabit switches.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 14-03-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    ...Just contacted Vodafone -- Had a nice long chat (they answered after 1 ring), ....
    Was that ringing their Sales people or their Faults service people ?

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    Was that ringing their Sales people or their Faults service people ?
    Yesterday and this morning, it was sales. This morning had to call faults (at a persons place) twice as long - 2 rings before they answered.

The Fibrex Max is being installed tomorrow.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Can their router run in bridge mode Wainui? If so, one of these would be the go....

https://www.gowifi.co.nz/routers/erlite-3.html

I'm very jealous, but we are finally getting fibre here in 2019 so I'll just have to wait for that...
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."