Default Best printer replacement

My Canon inkjet printer Pixma Ip4850 has given up after years of good service. I want a printer-only replacement with the same high quality of printing photos and documents. The current Canon models get very mixed reviews. I'd like to stick to Canon if they can keep to the 4850 quality but am open to any suggestions.

Default Re: Best printer replacement

I don't have a useful recommendation for photo printing but my opinion is don't do it. Get a colour laser for documents and use a professional print service for photos. Better results all round. Inkjet running costs are crazy.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by Krad View Post
    My Canon inkjet printer Pixma Ip4850 has given up after years of good service. I want a printer-only replacement with the same high quality of printing photos and documents. The current Canon models get very mixed reviews. I'd like to stick to Canon if they can keep to the 4850 quality but am open to any suggestions.
    Just avoid Canon inkjets.
    After 15++ a fan of Canon inkjets, I'll now never buy another.
    Its the constant cleaning cycles. Want to print 1 single page, nope, it will do a 3 minute clean 1st. Hopeless for occasional use

In general, get something that uses high capacity ink carts , plenty of options
    High quality photo printing seems to mean tiny ink carts, and lots of them. $$$$$$$$$

Unfortunately, printer only inkjets are almost a thing of the past . Everything seems to be MFC/all in one .

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I don't have a useful recommendation for photo printing but my opinion is don't do it. Get a colour laser for documents and use a professional print service for photos. Better results all round. Inkjet running costs are crazy.
    I would go with dugi's advise.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Its the constant cleaning cycles. Want to print 1 single page, nope, it will do a 3 minute clean 1st. Hopeless for occasional use

High quality photo printing seems to mean tiny ink carts, and lots of them. $$$$$$$$$

Unfortunately, printer only inkjets are almost a thing of the past . Everything seems to be MFC/all in one .
    That's interesting because I've used nothing but Canon inkjets for years and had no trouble at all.

I even fill my own cartridges, and when after a few refills the cartridge fails, I just buy a whole new printer on special and start again.

It's crazy, but I've found I can purchase a whole new printer cheaper than a couple of replacement cartridges.

I also leave my printers on, unless I'm going away, so I wonder if that stops the cleaning cycle nonsense you are experiencing?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Must agree 100% with 1101. We bought very cheaply a Canon Pro 10. The ink costs are absolutely horrendous ! If you do not use it
    very frequently indeed then the cleaning cycles will clean out your wallet. But if you are printing every day and multiple photos then go
    for it.
    Affinity 1.5.2.69
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    Lightroom 6
    Elements+
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Agree 100%. The constant cleaning drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    I also leave my printers on, unless I'm going away, so I wonder if that stops the cleaning cycle nonsense you are experiencing?
    Nope , modern inkjets will turn themselves off after a while .
    My inkjet wasnt a cheapie. It prints just fine, its the constant cleaning....

It stopped working late Dec, looked up the error & needed a 'service' at a Canon service centre
    What happened was, it decided that the waste ink soak was full so it just stops & blinks. Thats after approx 4 black ink carts !!!!!
    I found a way to reset it, but what a mission (2+ hours searching for the reset sequence) .
    This is why I'll never buy another canon.

Other brands also do the cleaning cycles, but no where near as bad as this printer

I'd get a laser and get your pictures printed elsewhere.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

"I'd get a laser and get your pictures printed elsewhere":

I got myself a cheap $90 Kyocera laser two or three years ago, its been through many reams of paper since, with never a miss.

I don't know how to change the ink yet, Ill look it up when it runs out!