Question eMMC drives - formatting etc

What are the problems involved in formatting an 'eMMC' 64GB drive in a Hewlett Packard G3 notebook running Windows 10?
    As I have several computers running Windows, I am considering converting this notebook to Linux. I would format EXT3 or 4.
    Would the drive have to be converted to 'Legacy' ?
    Would I have problems with the 'BIOS' ?

Default Re: eMMC drives - formatting etc

They should have a normal SSD in them,eMMc drives are in tablets

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    They should have a normal SSD in them,eMMc drives are in tablets
    Not so! The HP 11 G3 windows and Chrome have eMMc drives soldered into the motherboard. My Chromebook has a 16 GB drive, 2 GB memory, and the Windows 10 Pro Compact has a 64 GB drive, 4 GB memory, all soldered into the motherboard. Both run cool with no fan, and last up to 12 hours on a charge. The battery is also internal. They both have 1.6 Ghz dual core Intel processors.

You can find info toward the bottom here https://zipso.net/chromebook-specs-comparison-table/ dealing with the install of special versions of Linux to suit Chromebooks

See some versions of Chromebooks are upgradeable with SSD's but eMMc drives are not which I had been looking at the possibility doing to a Nextbook 8 with 16Gb Drive

The cheap Chromebooks and W10 Compacts are classified for education, and have eMMC drives. Chromebooks with Intel processors and chip set can be converted to Linux, and can run both if the drive is big enough. There is an 'App' for changing it. I don't wish to change the Chromebook. I think its brilliant. I am thinking of changing the HP 11 Stream which has Windows 10 Pro Compacted in it. Works well, but I have 3 other computers on Windows so it is surplus. I would like to install Linux "Fat Dog 64" which is brilliant.

The info I need is concerning formatting eMMC drives without ruining them. I read somewhere that a problem with the eMMC is that it does not contain its own index map and requires external support. Also that some Linux distros have support for them. Hopefully if I Image the whole drive I will be able to restore if things go pear shape.

I have now got it to boot Puppy Linux from a CD. 'Parted' can not see the drive, and its not in the mount list, so I can not format the drive, or even install to the existing NTFS partition, for the same reason. The Disk Manager in 'Active@disk image' can see the partitions but can only do Windows formats. I need a Utility that will see the eMMC and then format in Linux formats.