Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Private email still on the fritz, now the Business has joined it...........

Hi Team

I am still unable to download my private email traffic, but fortunately most of it is usually just scan and delete.

As mentioned previously, I screen all my mail with Mailwasher, and that is giving me the two-fingered: "error connecting with SSL", so I've had to use my alternate address on Gmail.

My business address (hosted by Orcon) is downloading OK, but now I can't reply. It took some time to find that out, because I didn't realise that my replies were stacking up but not being sent, so I've had to use Gmail for that as well. Fortunately I had chosen an address that would be recognisable for both private and business, but it is confusing my clients something terrible! However, at least I can have a two-way exchange!

It finally dawned on me that the upheavals at Spark as they (supposedly) bring their email system back to NZ are probably the cause of my Xtra problems, but I can't understand why my outgoing Orcon traffic is not being processed.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and if you've had the same strife with Xtra and you or they fixed it, I'd be grateful for any tips.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

BTW: IE.exe is dated 2016
    Last edited by Billy T; 10-03-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Old guy

Default Re: Private email still on the fritz, now the Business has joined it...........

Xtra's webmail works for me but it will not work from the mail app on my Windows 10 PC.
    I have not bothered to sort it out as I use Gmail mostly and just use my Xtra email for rubbish.

Default Re: Private email still on the fritz, now the Business has joined it...........

A new SSL certificate would be required but maybe they do not have SSL implemented yet which may mean you might have to use the unsecure ports in the meantime.

Another issue maybe the DNS, which may point to the old server and not the new one.

Outgoing depends on what smtp server you use and most of the time it will be your ISP's smtp server as it allows you to avoid authentification, but you can use the other smtp server if you send your credentials to log in.

This does seem like history repeating and jumping ship was probably a better choice but the process of switching has always made that choice difficult.

When I changed email provider, I kept my old one and checked it till everyone started using my new address. It wasn't that much of a hassle.

I could not load outlook.com in the updated browsers then discovered MS had changed the lookup address but hadn't notified me. Changed the web address to their new one and back online.

My xtra webmail and Outlook 2013 all work fine; it's so much faster now for the past week - almost normal now.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I could not load outlook.com in the updated browsers then discovered MS had changed the lookup address but hadn't notified me. Changed the web address to their new one and back online.
    What was 'the old one', what should the new lookup address be, and where might I find it/install it on my computer?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Spark works for me through Outlook 2010 and Xtra webmail. However, I have a friend who has had no Xtra emails for 4 days. She thinks it is because she won't let them put Fibre Broadband through her impeccable garden! I would be complaining loudly. She thinks she may pay a tech to come and fix it tomorrow.

The quick look I was allowed showed me that she has been transferred from Yahoo.

The only thing that I can't do is to get the Spark app to work on my new iPad mini 4. I spent time with both Apple NZ & Spark to no avail. I can still access my emails through Mail.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    What was 'the old one', what should the new lookup address be, and where might I find it/install it on my computer?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    The new one is outlook.live.com the old one had some numbers like 176 in the mix from memory. This is Outlook webmail though not Outlook the office program

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post

My business address (hosted by Orcon) is downloading OK, but now I can't reply.
    Is that Orcon business email setup to reply via xtra. That will stop replies working

Hi Team,

I'm now back on-line for PF1, I was locked out for several days because something else went haywire and I couldn't use PF1 for advice or assistance, or to post Monday Laughs!!!!

Re 1101's question, the answer is no, my Orcon (business) correspondence is quite separate from Xtra, and I've never used 'webmail'.

However, my Orcon Business incoming correspondence was OK when last I checked, but per my starting post, my answers to business queries simply stack up and refuse to send. I've been using my 'emergency' Gmail to maintain contact with current clients, but who knows how many clients, potential or current, have given up because I don't answer.

This seems to be a problem caused by the change from Yahoo [per Post #7 above] but I have no idea what I need to change to reactivate my Xtra account.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)