Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zippity Fan Club Member prefect's Avatar

Default Re: Spark must be stopped

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    If the govt had kept it, it would still be running at a loss.
    There would be no competition or split off (as govts generally didnt want competition for their assets)
    It would be overstaffed & badly run.
    Remember party lines, in 1970,80's AK, because govt owned Telecom wouldnt spend the money to modernise/upgrade ?
    Remember waiting lists to get a phone line, in 1970,80's AK ?
    Remember the obscenely high cost of toll calls. Remember it being a toll call to the other side of Ak fringes
    ******* tell me about it lol. When I had a place in Renwick in the early 1980s I had to go on a waiting list for many months to get connected. There wasnt enough new investment made by the NZPO then Telecom because the government just wanted the return.
    I was in Singapore in the 80s on exercise with the shithawks and marveled at the push button tone phones while we had the rotary dial pulse ones. The homos wouldnt even allow you to do an extension phone yourself. Luckily I bought a house in Blenheim in 1985 which was owned by a cop and in the bedroom was another phone I guess to call the poor bugger out.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

paulw - was this in Wellington in the Post Office Headquarters building on Waterloo Quay? If so, based on what you said you were working on and the years you were there, it's very possible you worked alongside my father (an electrical engineer). He was also seconded to Europe but came back in 1972 and worked at the Post Office until about 1979ish. I'll PM his name you if you're interested.

[QUOTE=pctek;1257409]No. What party lines? Waiting lists, no, don't remember that either. Not even in the '60s.

/QUOTE]

1970's Ak
    Family moved to Milford, Ak, waiting list to get a phone line. So you go on a party line
    Family moved to Sunnynook. Waiting list for a ph line
    Family moved to Mairangi Bay. Waiting list for phone line , so we went on another party line
    Going a ph waiting list not that uncommon as the the family moved around . Sometime only months, sometimes much much longer
    70's Visits to relatives in rural SI. Party line more common down there

For those not as old as us , a party line is where you share the phone line with some of your neighbors . Meaning you had to
    wait for the neighbor to finish his call before you could use the phone. Also meant the neighbor could pickup the ph & listen in to your call

Quote Originally Posted by catspyjamas View Post
    paulw - was this in Wellington in the Post Office Headquarters building on Waterloo Quay? If so, based on what you said you were working on and the years you were there, it's very possible you worked alongside my father (an electrical engineer). He was also seconded to Europe but came back in 1972 and worked at the Post Office until about 1979ish. I'll PM his name you if you're interested.
    I was in Europa House between 1973 and 1978 when I sentence finished. Was in network design (TPE) and last year in circuit design (TPE)..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    I was in Europa House between 1973 and 1978 when I sentence finished. Was in network design (TPE) and last year in circuit design (TPE)..
    I PMed you paulw.