Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "The Golden Age of Ignorance"

An interesting interview on Radio NZ Sunday Morning. Reflects a lot of the ways BS is becoming big time, worldwide!
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...e-of-ignorance

Default Re: "The Golden Age of Ignorance"

Just looking through Gizmag/ netatlas. Looks like it's news of the day http://newatlas.com/what-is-fake-new...economy/47773/

Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    An interesting interview on Radio NZ Sunday Morning. Reflects a lot of the ways BS is becoming big time, worldwide!
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...e-of-ignorance
    Actually, people are now better informed than ever .
    There has allways been fake news, since day 1 . People will allways lie & manipulate facts , allways have, allways will

From the 2nd link above
    "Fake news is certainly not a new phenomenon. Ever since the invention of the printing press in the 15th century, there were those who printed outright mistruths."

Fake news is in itself fake news .

“Don’t be so open-minded your brains fall out!”

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    "Fake news is certainly not a new phenomenon. Ever since the invention of the printing press in the 15th century, there were those who printed outright mistruths."

”[/B]
    Nah, before news was distributed like that there would have been the people telling people stuff, and it got more exaggerated and less truthful the more it spread.
    wipe your paws.

"Ever since the invention of the printing press in the 15th century, there were those who printed outright mistruths."
    Yeah, nah.

At the rate it took to type set in those days, and at the rate some of the contradictions emanating from the White House these days, the news would be at least months or even years before the readers got to see the "news". Those readers would be well accustomed to recognising fabrications and the phenomenon of reporters interviewing their typewriters early on.

A bit like those who choose to believe what the Herald presents as "news" these days.

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Banned

Fake News, what about the Y2K bug that was going to have Aeroplanes fall out of the air, sewerage to run uphill, cars not to start, no water supply, North and South Pole to interchange. We were told to stockpile food and water, torch’s, batteries, candles.

The Government, under Helen Clarke, appointed a Y2K Commissioner to oversee this disaster and he was on the payroll a year later still waiting for something to happen.

A good mate of mine whom I had long and meaningful discussions with about this subject always argued that the Government wouldn’t mislead it’s Citizens like this.

He died in his sleep years later and still had a bath full of water, pantry full of food, and bucket & mop in the toilet.

He could never accept he was conned by the Government.

I still have a box that a Printer came in claiming the Printer was Y2K compliant. Must have been a clever one to know the time and date.

Now we have Global Warming, just same suckers coming back for more.

But always remember, that if you don’t read the News you are uninformed, and if you do you are misinformed.

Maybe I'm a bit too old and cynical, but the world seems full of BS. Just about anything you read on the internet, newspapers ,magazines etc is full of it. People are making lots of money selling it. Media loves it because it is free. Social media love it because it is "sensational".

When I went to High School (last century) we spent several periods with "Dom" (Mr Campbell whose classroom entry line was "Prepare to receive these pearls of wisdom, and deposit them to the innermost recesses of your respective crania!".
    The subject was advertising manipulation techniques to make you desire the product. This was an eyeopener for an innocent teenager that I was back then, but I have found the principals of his classes have stood me in good stead. They amounted to exaggerating the attributes of the product ,without outright lies, and omitting any negative aspects altogether.

Seems like a lot of us didn't get this class and have no critical faculties to judge when they are being conned, whether it be products, ideas, or news. The people who may be the experts in various fields ,have, on the whole, given up correcting BS, the onslaught has been too much.

Or am I "so last century"?

Banned

What you weren’t taught at school was we now have highly paid Companies, often known as “Public Relations Companies”, complete with their own “Spin Doctors” to prepare the BS so it is more palatable.

Personally I’m not prepared to eat it no matter how it’s presented, but then there are some who just can’t wait for returns.

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Fake News, what about the Y2K bug .....
    Sorry BM - yes, there was a lot of exaggeration over Y2K but the reason nothing happened was because a lot of work went to preventing the very real risks involved.