Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Spark ADSL+ v Wireless Broadband

Taking the wireless option will have no bearing on the fibre provision.

The snipping refers to cutting the copper feed that comes into your house from the street. You don't want that feed on your house wiring if your house wiring is plugged into the wireless modem.

Never been a fan of Telecom/Spark since clear came on the market with cheap toll calls. My latest is that I suspect that Spark are only allowing a limited number of their subsidiary "Skinny" connections. My son got one and is working well and yet I can get perfect 4g signals and can see the tower around 2 km away and Skinny shows on their site I cannot connect. (post code problem???) My son is around 1 km away but the tower is hidden by some trees. Yet Spark say they can supply at almost twice the price I am retired

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    I've seen someone connect one of those Huawei modems directly into the phone wiring, snip the wire coming into the house at the demarc, and all their phones worked as per normal. I haven't actually tried this myself, and the general consensus seemed to be that the modem couldn't possibly put enough voltage out for the ringers on the old corded phones to work properly, but it does seem to...
    ?
    Can you explain this? What exactly do you do?
    wipe your paws.

You take the phone output of your router and wire it to a jackpoint that is commoned to the house wiring, then you cut away the copper line from the street and any left over master splitter wiring so that the 2 wires are just connected back to the router and nothing else from each jackpoint. Some installers do this for you if you get a phone line over fibre from the beginning but many just provide the one jackpoint, in which case you have to common it to the rest yourself or get someone to do it.

There will be a limit to how much ringing current it can provide but it should handle one or two standard phones, and any number of cordless phones because they provide their own ringing current. I'm not sure why they say alarms etc won't work over them, I assume it's because the encoding used for the voice signal might corrupt whatever signal the alarm system sends but it certainly should be able to dial out over it. It might be a case of it should work but can't be guaranteed to be reliable.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Ok thanks. Signed up for it.
    Not that I have multiple phones, but you never know, may want to do such a thing.....
    wipe your paws.

I don't even have a landline anymore, should give my cordless phones away. Broadband + Mobile phone is all I want.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Well, we're old people, still have the landline, still like the landline.

wipe your paws.

Yes, age does enter into it! I could switch our landline off but there are a lot of 'older' people who ring from their landline so would have to pay if we only had cell phones.

After the Christchurch quakes there was an appeal for non-mains powered (copper-line powered) stand alone phones. So many lost their mains power and the same could happen if/when the fibre and wireless broadband is disrupted.

Many (most?) now have cell phones for this redundancy. They can also be charged in the car if no other provision is available.