Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 535455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: Linux Systems

Default Re: Linux Systems

WOW That's a major flaw / Oversight, doesn't matter what the OS is.

It seems to me to be a real design flaw that allows you to easily uninstall a package that turns out to be required in order to boot into the Cinnamon desktop session.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-02-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    I'm not sure why uninstalling the screensaver package could have caused that meltdown ...

The page that wainui pointed to shows how to fix a corrupted filesystem ... I'm not sure that would be the case here.

Can you get to a terminal prompt after the error occurs above? Does it leave you at a prompt? If not, can you get to another terminal session by holding Ctrl + Alt + F2 (or F3, F4, etc. F7 usually takes you back to the current session).

If you can get to a prompt try this:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cinnamon

That should re-install the Cinnamon desktop back to the defaults leaving data and settings as they are.
    Rod you’re a legend.

Didn’t know about the Ctrl+Alt+F2 trick, but did that, entered name and number (didn’t even ask for Rank) then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cinnamon, as you suggested, restarted and bingo, everything restored, even the Icons in their right place.

Doesn’t get any easier, if only I knew all these tricks. Whilst on the subject, can one buy books like the old DOS ones with an explanation of all the commands and switches?

Anyway, I guess I’d better stand down the Mint Gurus on the other forum.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Maybe start here
    https://www.linux.com/learn/complete...guide-linux%20

There are plenty more you just need to look.
    Last edited by KarameaDave; 16-02-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Whilst on the subject, can one buy books like the old DOS ones with an explanation of all the commands and switches?
    No need to buy books, most help info is free to read online. I did buy a big thick Linux book many years ago when I first looked at using Linux (around 2001), some of it has dated somewhat but much of it is still relevant as far as the terminal commands go which have been around since the early days of Unix.

If (like me) you are familiar with the old DOS commands, you should find this page useful:
    http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/uni...dos_users.html

Also, have you checked out the "man" pages in the terminal? If there is any command you're not sure about what it does just do this: man <command>. For example: man apt-get. I use the man pages a great deal, especially as I keep forgetting stuff and need to jog my memory. You can also read the man pages online which you may find are easier to read in a webpage:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/
    http://man.he.net/

There are some Linux online magazines too:
    http://www.linux-magazine.com/
    http://pclosmag.com/index.html
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Moving along to the next challenge.

Can any of you Linux gurus recommend a Website Builder that works with Mint – Cinnamon – Sarah?

I needs to be able to direct people to a You Tube video and to Pay Pal for payment, so I guess that makes it commercial.

I have one built with Website X5 Evolution 10 but the programme I built it with has been corrupted, by a Win 10 update I suspect.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

FTW

Thanks Dave,

for a while there I thought I was spoilt with choice, but the snag seems to be the requirement to be able to divert to You Tube, where the video is located, and provide a link to Pay Pal, so people can use their credit card to purchase.

Two or three years ago now I purchased WebSite X5 “Home”, only to find out that the shopping basket facilities came with “Evolution” not “Home” so I had to upgrade. Anyway, I got everything up and running and it’s never missed a beat and is still going fine. However, I thought I’d change a couple of things only to find that a Win 10 update has screwed this programme as well as Firefox and Ccleaner that I discovered some time ago.

I’d buy WebSite X5 again if I knew it would work with “Mint – Cinnamon” but there is no mention anywhere I can find of it working with Linux of any variety.

I have tried to contact Incomedia/WebSite but they don’t seem to have a contact address.
    Plenty of FAQ’s and Ask the Community, but no first hand help or contact. In short, no after sales service.

Interestingly, Openhost, that hosts my site, describe it as “Linux Starter Web Hosting Plesk11”, so maybe they were prophetic back when all this kicked off.

To summarise then, I am still looking for a Website builder for Linux or (Windows if it will work through Linux with Wine or Winetricks) and has the ability to provide small business, WYSIWYG, e-commerce, interaction facilities with Pay Pal.

From their site. BTW- Version 10 works perfectly on W10, thats what I have installed.

Is the technical support for Version 10 of WebSite X5 still available?

With the release of the current Version 13, Incomedia will no longer provide technical support for Version 10 of WebSite X5, except for matters regarding how to install and register the licence key.

We suggest to those who are still using a licence of WebSite X5 Evolution 10, to check the availability of updates and in if you find any, to download and install them.

We would like to remind you the updates can be found in the "Download" page.

If you have any questions or issues concerning the functions in version 10 of WebSite X5 you will still be able to use the resources available here on Answers:

You can use the search field to find the answer in other discussions opened in the past, or look into the published FAQs;
    You can open a new public post to ask other users for advice and talk with the community.
    We wish to remind you that the current Version 13 provides compatibility with Version 12, 11, 10 and 9.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    From their site. BTW- Version 10 works perfectly on W10, thats what I have installed.
    Here we go again.

Spare us the drivel “Everything works fine with windows 10 as long as you do a clean install of windows 10 and then reinstall all your other programmes”.

Great, but thousands of us, maybe millions, don’t want to clean reinstall everything because Microsoft carelessly wrecked our machines.

As for Incomedia/WebsiteX5, they have gone the way of Microsoft and I won’t be purchasing anything further off them either.

Are they owned by Microsoft now?

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Here we go again.

Spare us the drivel “Everything works fine with windows 10 as long as you do a clean install of windows 10 and then reinstall all your other programmes”.

As for Incomedia/WebsiteX5, they have gone the way of Microsoft and I won’t be purchasing anything further off them either.

Are they owned by Microsoft now?
    I simply pointed out that Version 10 of Website X5 Works on Windows 10, NOTHING MORE. It works just as good as when It was installed on W7.

It was Incomedia who has stopped support for a previous Version. Which is what you were complaining about, and only posted what they advised, which you must have not seen.