Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows 10-Cortana?

Hey, just wondering if Cortana will be available for NZ users when upgraded to Windows 10 & if not, is there any way around it? Thanks

Default Re: Windows 10-Cortana?

If it's not available in New Zealand upon launch you can change your regional settings to say you're in a country that has it. It's worked for me on an earlier build and on Windows Phone.

Thanks pcuser42, sounds good. I remember reading something about Windows 10 being available free for starters & having to pay after 2 years or something similar? That's not true, is it?

What's the thoughts on Windows 10, worth an upgrade from 8.1 ?

I remember reading something about Windows 10 being available free for starters & having to pay after 2 years or something similar?
    No no no no --

Heres the guff.

If you have Windows 7 or 8.1 the upgrade to W10 is free. You have till 29th July 2016 to upgrade. If you dont upgrade before 2016, you will then have to pay for it.

If you upgrade before 29th July 2016 its yours for ever, it never expires.

If you are on the insider program, which is a tester program, you get W10 as it goes on / Develops for free. BUT you have to have a MS insider account ( free) the software you get is still testing software so you will get all the latest builds ( and bugs), features before the general public, but time limited. Leave the insider program and all bets are off

The testing Versions are for people who like playing with new ( and unstable) builds, and when it all turns to custard you shrug your shoulders and start again. Of course any faults, it helps to report back to MS so they can fix them ( sometimes)

The latest Build 10240 is okish ( sometimes) - but still unstable. Some people have no problems others have more than I care to mention.

To keep up with the "latest" (when we post) follow / check out This Thread

You decide if you want to upgrade when appropriate

The debate on insider is whether 10240 RTM is actually the build going to general public - Some say its not as its to unstable still. MS are not saying
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-07-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

10240 is RTM

but you need to get your head around the fact that their really never is a "final" version of Windows 10

Its an ongoing development, together with you guys giving feedback on features you want and how they should be prioritised. Crowd sourced.

Every month there will be patches

3 times a year there will be major feature releases

so the July 2015 build is done and we are working on new features

Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    10240 is RTM

but you need to get your head around the fact that their really never is a "final" version of Windows 10

Its an ongoing development, together with you guys giving feedback on features you want and how they should be prioritised. Crowd sourced.

Every month there will be patches

3 times a year there will be major feature releases

so the July 2015 build is done and we are working on new features
    Thanks Nath, for the confirmation.

Looks like after the 29th Techs will be busy. I'm saying that because in its current form its causing a lot of problems with breakages, one minute it works fine next its playing up. Basically unstable in some areas.

One that I cant seem to find a fix for - the insider Hub App, tried everything, and its still not working, all the others are now that I rebuilt / reinstalled them Via Powershell.

Hope MS get the delivery via Windows updates sorted, LOTS of people on the insider still cant get any upgrades through, some are stuck several versions back. Theres all sorts of fixes offered, some work some don't.

If Microsoft want W10 to be a success, they need to get it right. In bold- in other words its coming out on the 29th still in Beta, with too many faults

On going development is fine, but unstable is not.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Insider Hub has been removed since 10142, and will come back after RTM

The unstable/breakage issues you describe are not widespread as far as I can tell

The normal public will not have the insider Windows Update issues you have described as they will be doing an upgrade from prior version of Windows not build to build Windows 10 upgrades

So is Cortana something we "Need" Will be "Useful"? What will it do for us? Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

It's like siri for the Iphone. I've got it on my windows phone. Don't really use it tho. But have tried it

Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    Insider Hub has been removed since 10142, and will come back after RTM

The unstable/breakage issues you describe are not widespread as far as I can tell

The normal public will not have the insider Windows Update issues you have described as they will be doing an upgrade from prior version of Windows not build to build Windows 10 upgrades
    The upgrades are coming Via windows update currently, so yes that's true about the insider updates.

As for the troubles ?? are you really serious ? Have you actually had a look at how many people are having troubles with upgrading,one of the reasons to change to Windows updates from insider was of course to test out the update procedure - ( MS engineers and moderators posted it - which hasn't gone exactly to good for many ) and all the other various problems.

The way it is at the moment its to unstable.

As one of the members posted
    Just sit back with your pop corn and watch the fun during August
    Does the below look like the actions of a stable OS ? These are consistent on a daily basis. The reason for not shutting down correctly was because the whole thing froze sometimes other times it restarted by its self. Other OS's run perfectly fine, so its not hardware.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Errors.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	6605
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-07-2015 at 01:36 PM.