Default 100 MBPS VS 200MPBS

Hey i have seen many isp offer download speed of 100 MBPS and 200 MBPS and so i want to know is there any big notice of speed in that . I do realise that of course numbers the higher the number the better the speed but really do people notice it ?

Thanks

Default Re: 100 MBPS VS 200MPBS

You'll find speed tests sometimes give the maximum available. But in reality hardly ever do you hit the full available. It depends on where its coming from, time of day, internet traffic etc. Just because a peson is capable of 100Mbps doesn't mean they will get it.

BTW--- pays to learn and use the right terms. There is a huge difference. MB = Mega Bytes Mb = Mega bits

Speed tests generally display in Mbps
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Computer Tech

For 99% of home users you would probably not notice the difference.
    A few reasons, one being most home users network gear is only 100mbps so no point having a faster internet connection as the speed would just reduce when it hit your network.
    Most home users use wifi. Theoretically you can get wifi that will handle 200mbps or more but in real life where there is lots of interference you usually end up with less than 100mbps and slower.
    And wainuitech mentions a few other reasons.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

You'll likely get that for national traffic only. 100mbps vs 200mbps at home, it's incredibly unlikely you're going to get "real world" use out of it. Sure you *may* get Steam downloads marginally faster, or Windows Updates coming down depending on the CDN location etc but to be honest as the others have said, there's very little benefit between 100 vs 200mbps at this stage.
    Thing is your ISP likely won't have the bandwidth to sustain you pulling over 100mbps on your own either, which is why I say it'll only likely be national (Coz national data costs infinitely less vs international to buy) and nationally... yeah how much are you going to care?

If you have multiple offices and they're both regularly syncing a buttload of data between them, then maybe but otherwise I personally wouldn't even bother. You could for bragging rights and screenshots of your Speedtest.net results? But that's about it...

Your right in saying just cos you've got a 100 down doesn't mean you'll get it. Just changed to fibre this month started on 30 down and actually got it on speedtests, changed to 100 down ( well was only another $10) and best I've got was 77. Did I notice the difference between 30 and 100 - no not really. Interestingly my upload which as far as I know is meant to be 10 consistently hovers around 50. This is at home with Vodafone Huawei.

Kitten's Lair, Fortified Bunker, 300m below ground

People have to realise speedtest means bugger all.

Shitty peering means we'll hardly ever break out of adsl speeds without multithreaded/parallel downloads outside of NZ.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

So ... multi-thread your download then?
    I pull 15mbps on a single thread from the USA happily. Multithread a download, x4, and you have a very decent speed.

I get screenshots from my customers showing me their 100mbps fibre pulling them 11MB/sec on torrents even. You're kidding yourself if you think you have a 100mbps CIR circuit, those things cost like ~$3K+

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

I'm just happy we now get 7.3Mbs (to Sparks server in Chch) here in Karamea.
    Much better than the 0.03Mbs that was typical in the evening until the fibre went live a month or so ago.
    No more late nights waiting for a decent speed for updates or downloading various Linux OS's
    FTW