Page 8 of 171 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 --- Latest Tech Preview

The latest build is now available - build 10041. If you have elected for fast updates it is coming via Windows update, with a slightly odd name; look for "10041" in the update list. I have it installed on one machine. Haven't had a chance to really look at it, but my first impression is that it is a bit faster. IE hung up on me though. It also looks like the double login avatar has disappeared.

On the other machine I haven't been able to install it because it is failing to complete an update that is earlier in the list - a driver update for a "high definition audio device". I can't find a way in Win10 to bypass individual updates - anyone got any ideas?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Just downloaded the .esd file (The upgrade to 10041) converted it to a ISO, and now did a fresh install to a Virtual Machine.

Might have a play later
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Just downloaded the .esd file (The upgrade to 10041) converted it to a ISO, and now did a fresh install to a Virtual Machine.

Might have a play later
    Step by step instructions please - I can't get it to install via Windows update.

Bend over and -------------- OOPS wrong forum LOL Only kidding.

Have a read: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...ew-build-10041 There are the .esd files linked as well, select the one(s) you want.

Download the ESD Decrypter - Unzip it and put all the contents as well as the .esd file in a folder, right click the Decrypter/ Run as da boss ( Administrator) a Window will open select option 1 and it should do the rest. When its done you you will have a ISO file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	6304

No need to use NTLite. If you scroll down to the bottom of the article theres a link to the default Product Key. A standard install may not need it, but the VM did.

Note:these are the upgrade files that upgrade from one version to another, so if MS use the same process to upgrade w7-W8.1 to 10, you can grab the files and do a fresh install I suspect.

Looks like they have "sorted" the problems ( read over secure) LAN settings not detecting other LAN computers. Once I changed the VM Network from default to Bridged it saw the whole LAN in an instant. Does seem faster as well.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-03-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Our work laptop running 7 died over a week ago....................we now have to wait and see what the higher up peeps decide what we get a new tower or a new laptop........may come down to $$ or who knows what................. but i said to my boss it is likely we will get windows 10.................she nearly threw a hissy fit.......... that piece of news destroyed her day. we are still waiting.

and last year we got gifted a IPAD, no body is able to use it properly, we all struggle as nobody at work is apple loving. even me who picks things up quite easily and quickly is like give me a tablet any day........

I am not looking forward to our new arrival...... and thats kinda sad cos i like gadgets lol

So i may become a more regular regular at PF1 again asking for help......... lol
    Last edited by beetle; 21-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

OOOPPPPS -- Just broke it

OMG they FINALLY have put in something thats been missing for years in the settings.

About time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	About Time.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	6305

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    OMG they FINALLY have put in something thats been missing for years in the settings.

About time.
    As long as somewhere is documented what those defaults are, so you know what you are in for.

I've got the .iso - thanks Wainui. I'll try the install on this PC tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    As long as somewhere is documented what those defaults are, so you know what you are in for.

I've got the .iso - thanks Wainui. I'll try the install on this PC tomorrow.
    Sweet Personally I never like "upgrading" from an existing install, its always going to leave any previous faults behind.

Re the reset -- Guess its a case of setting back to how it was first installed.