Page 2 of 183 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 --- Latest Tech Preview

Well just to be different, my experiences.

1. Start menu seems just fine to me. Yes, it could do with a couple of tweaks, but the general idea seems very good. If you're surprised it needs a few small changes - hello, it's a technical preview. If you're expecting software which needs no improvements or changes, why install software labelled as technical preview?

2. Performance seems pretty good, no crashes yet. IE in particular seems to have gotten quite a bit faster - definitely looking forward to Spartan.

3. With about 5 minutes of work, not needing google - Cortana up and working fine, not hard at all - seriously, take 5 minutes and get it working before complaining about it not working!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.
    Ryzen 5 1600 <> RX580 4GB <> 8GB Ram <> 240GB SSD <> 1TB HDD <> Windows 10

The network problem is now resolved, well a work around anyway. MANY people having problems with it, you need to make a a reg change then it works.

Heres How, Using REGEDIT it's necessary to create a DWORD value called 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorks tation\Parameters and set this new value to 1.

Reboot and it works ( in most cases)

Another thing that's missing/removed is the Windows update in the control Panel. Many are complaining the Settings app ends in errors, and update wont work. To get the Old one back you again alter the reg and the old option is then back.

Open Notepad, paste in the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdat e\UX]
    "IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdat e\UX\Settings]
    "UxOption"=dword:00000000

Save it as WU.reg then merge it, reboot.

Cortana up and working fine, not hard at all - seriously, take 5 minutes and get it working before complaining about it not working!
    Heres a thought, instead of making stupid unhelpful comments why not actually provide details -- Changing the regional settings, Location and Language to English (United States) to USA didn't work. Thats the first thing I did. As far as the computer is concerned its in the USA. So whats your suggestion ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

If I wasn't packing for the move North even I would download it and have a look.

Theres plenty of faults in this build. Yes its testing and that's why its faulty, it seems when operations / features are changed, it will break something else.

On the insider forum, theres 50 pages of posts so far. Some have suggestions to problems, but theres a lot of comments along the lines of Microsoft going backwards in this build. Quite a few are saying they will be going back to the previous as this ones a "bit of a mess" as it is. Of course MS will put out fixes for some things and wait till the next to repair.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Whoops! My Bad - I started a similar thread on PressF1 before I noticed this one. This is what I posted:

I've just installed build 9926 and my initial impression (after about 5 mins) is favourable. The start menu changes are a definite improvement and the taskbar icons are much cleaner. It looks like the "modern" apps now start windowed rather than full screen - which is a definite improvement IMHO.

It get the impression it starts up a little faster (from glacial down to sluggish on my PC under VMplayer).

Still getting 2 avatars on the login screen.

No Cortana though - when are we going to see it?

After a bit more usage I haven't noticed any particular problems. I like the changed start menu and I like the way you can expand it to full screen if you want to.

I too tried just changing region to get Cortana going - didn't work for me either.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Just seen a Post on the Microsoft insider program, my first thought was funny (its a serious Question - but thought it funny)

The question:
    I installed the new build (9926) and immediately tried to play with Cortana. She starts up when I say "Hey Cortana" but then immediately stops listening.
    SWMBO agrees -- Its female -- Dont females stop listening to males right after their names are mentioned ?

I'll run away and hide now
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Heres a thought, instead of making stupid unhelpful comments why not actually provide details -- Changing the regional settings, Location and Language to English (United States) to USA didn't work. Thats the first thing I did. As far as the computer is concerned its in the USA. So whats your suggestion ?
    Changed country to US, set English US as primary language. You might need to turn Cortana on from the search box menu.
    Hey, Cortana. Easy.
    Just did a fresh install of Windows 10, no problems getting Cortana to work this time either.

Let's flip your comment around the other way - instead of making stupid unhelpful comments complaining about a beta feature included in a technical preview, why not take a few minutes to see if it can be enabled easily - or ask if anyone knows how to get it working before complaining about it not working
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    If I wasn't packing for the move North even I would download it and have a look.
    If you use NZ Van Lines they will do it all for you.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Changed country to US, set English US as primary language. You might need to turn Cortana on from the search box menu.
    Hey, Cortana. Easy.
    Just did a fresh install of Windows 10, no problems getting Cortana to work this time either.

Let's flip your comment around the other way - instead of making stupid unhelpful comments complaining about a beta feature included in a technical preview, why not take a few minutes to see if it can be enabled easily - or ask if anyone knows how to get it working before complaining about it not working
    Sorry Sunshine --- did ALL that Before posting the comment. as well as running though every setting it has

YOU just assumed it hadn't been done. Its been known for months (last preview) that Cortana was only available in the USA currently, so all the settings were changed then, double checked etc -- Still not working. Many others in the insider program are reporting various problems as well. Cortana was turned off, but again turned it on BEFORE posting, and the mic works fine. It wont open when prompted you have to click it, then sits there doing nothing when talking as you're meant to.

As mentioned earlier - its in beta still and faulty. AND before its asked, I did a fresh install and that's the same as well.

So any other helpful suggestions ?

Not that its really a worry, - its a damn gimmick, may be OK on phones but on a desktop , can see it being a pain.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Sorry Sunshine --- did ALL that Before posting the comment. as well as running though every setting it has

YOU just assumed it hadn't been done. Its been known for months (last preview) that Cortana was only available in the USA currently, so all the settings were changed then, double checked etc -- Still not working. Many others in the insider program are reporting various problems as well. Cortana was turned off, but again turned it on BEFORE posting, and the mic works fine. It wont open when prompted you have to click it, then sits there doing nothing when talking as you're meant to.

As mentioned earlier - its in beta still and faulty. AND before its asked, I did a fresh install and that's the same as well.

So any other helpful suggestions ?

Not that its really a worry, - its a damn gimmick, may be OK on phones but on a desktop , can see it being a pain.
    So do you have it successfully enabled just not working properly? Or not enabling getting the 'not available in your location' message?

Given your original comment about it was 'Cortana Doesnt work yet - Not available in your reign', with no reference to actually trying to enable it, it's a pretty decent assumption I made