Page 1 of 175 12345678 ... LastLast

Angry Windows 10 --- Latest Tech Preview

Microsoft have just put out the latest Tech Preview for general download - 9926.

This first comment is for Gary67 (Sorry Mate but you were the first one I thought of) -- if MS stick to form - you'll sh1t bricks And stay with W7 -- Dont like the Kindy Icons,? They are also bunched together in different categories.

Heres the New Default Start Menu:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	6164

Under all Apps ( down the bottom), when you click on it they are all listed 0-9 A-Z just like Windows 8.1 Start Screen. So all the kindy Tiles are mixed in with what ever programs are installed. OK they can be changed on the start menu, but the majority of general users wont know how or bother.
    Right clicking the start button still brings up the W8.1 style.

1st impressions so Far out of 1-10 with 10 being great -- 2

At least 75% of the network computers can no longer be accessed, when as before they were fine. Apart from 1 XP Machine, the only ones that can be accessed are Servers, any W7 or 8.1

The PC is SLOWER, takes longer for things to load.
    At least 50% of the programs Ive installed, crash or lock up when opened, nothing fancy, just media players etc
    The icons have changed again,this is only cosmetic, but thats minor.

Cortana Doesnt work yet - Not available in your reign

Need to look at the other new options ( if they work) still.

Just as well its only still in development - If it were final - even Free they can keep it - Id stay with 8.1
    Last edited by wainuitech; 24-01-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Default Re: Windows 10 --- Latest Tech Preview

Cortana is still in beta, it's possible to get it on the phone anyway, might be possible on the desktop as well.

Just about to install and update the tech preview now, will see what my experiences are!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.

Man that's an ugly interface. I will be upgrading when it comes out if free or under $10

It will be free for windows 7 or 8 users for the first year, been many recent posts and website stories to that effect.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

At least 75% of the network computers can no longer be accessed

The PC is SLOWER, takes longer for things to load.
    At least 50% of the programs Ive installed, crash or lock up when opened
    Terrific.
    So...hows Linux these days?
    wipe your paws.

What age group is W10 targeting?
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Awww! Just when M$ was looking positive and undoing the damage Ballmer inflicted,
    they go and release 3 (8, 8.1, 10) versions of the OS that suck worse than Vista.

A truly magnificent effort.

Ah well, back to Linux Mint I guess.
    FTW

Microsoft have only 1 saving grace with the previews -- OK they are for testing, so as long as they listen problems will be fixed.

BUT going by some comments, maybe they dont, some are posting obvious faults, some MS people respond but appear to have no clues or give a political answer so posters have to spell it out as if talking to kids. Makes you wonder sometimes who is actually writing the new codes and who are just yes men/women
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	6167

The saving grace is in the insider program comments:
    Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything. Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs. You might also have trouble connecting to home or corporate networks.
    The down side is there shouldn't be large amounts of failures for public releases.

In the insider forums, its interesting to read all the complaints about whats broken now, or things that are not liked. Several comments about going backwards with this build - the previous start menu was starting to repair the harm done earlier, but now gone backwards.

One thing that is mentioned is some of the problems only happen if its via the upgrade option - a fresh install and most of the faults don't appear -- Thats NOT a good start if MS are going to upgrade W7 -8.1 on existing installs.

Doing a fresh install to see if the problems still exist.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

The start page reminds me of Windows 311 which came on floppy discs and ran on 8MB of RAM.
    Maybe Microsoft should learn something from Linux, most versions have attractive functional desk tops. Most of my Windows software will run on Linux now.

In 2009 I installed "Tiny Windows 7" on one of my computers, a very small Asus with a 7" screen & a 4GB drive, using a card for data and software. Apart from emulating a cooker this has never missed a beat, very useful for Email on the road. It is based on Windows 7 Ultimate and fits on a single CD. Why don't Microsoft produce their own version of the 'Pirated' one instead of more bloat? Tiny Windows 7 does everything except languages, this is why I use the full versions because we need Chinese here.

I tried Windows 8, came with an Acer computer, by the time I had got it how I wanted it, there was no point in changing from Windows 7.

From one person on the Insider form,
    This build should not have been released the start menu functionality is so bad. The Start menu on the previous build was shaping up to be very good - this build has gone seriously backwards.

I am particularly disappointed about no resizing or customisation, and no option to disable web search results in the Start menu search.
    Microsoft Response linked in the thread basically to the post--

According to the most recent windows blog there's still a lot more personalization planned for the start menu including the ability to resize.
    In other words, get it working in one build, break it to make changes then fix it. Time will tell in future builds.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.