Exclamation Second fixed speed camera for Wellington – Petone motorway

*"Second fixed speed camera for Wellington – Petone motorway"*

Motorists driving between Wellington and Petone will now see a new fixture – the housing for a second fixed speed camera on this stretch of motorway.

The new site is on State Highway 2, between Horokiwi Road and the Petone off-ramp.

An existing camera site on State Highway 1 at Thorndon, near the Molesworth Street overbridge, was recently upgraded.

Both sites will house digital speed cameras featuring the latest generation technology.

They are scheduled to go live on Monday, 20 October.

They are two of 56 new fixed speed cameras being placed across the country in sites assessed as having a high risk of speed-related crashes.

The network will be fully operational by April 2016.

In an extensive site selection process, robust independent analysis based on
    10 years of crash data was followed with extensive consultation with local experts.

“Our staff met with a wide range of stakeholders, including local representatives from the New Zealand Transport Agency, city and district councils, Road Transport Forum, the AA and others,” says Superintendent Carey Griffiths, National Manager of Road Policing.

“They know the roads like the backs of their hands, so their knowledge of local road and safety issues was invaluable to the decision-making process.”

Twelve cameras are being installed in the first phase of the rollout, which sees six digital cameras in Wellington and six in Auckland.

The first camera became operational in Ngauranga Gorge in July 2014.

The infrastructure for three other cameras is now in place in Wainuiomata, Waiwhetu and Aotea. Wainuiomata and Waiwhetu will both go operational on 13 October.

The Aotea camera will go operational once issues with a tree are resolved.

Locations of the 44 second phase cameras will be announced when Police has finished consultation with stakeholders.

Assistant Commissioner Road Policing, Dave Cliff, says the cameras are being introduced as part of the government’s Safer Journey’s strategy, which aims to make New Zealand roads increasingly free of death and serious injury.

“International research is clear: speed cameras reduce traffic speed and road crashes, and help to reduce injury severity.

Small reductions in speed greatly reduce the likelihood of a crash and increase the chances of surviving crashes that do occur.”[/QUOTE]
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Default Re: Second fixed speed camera for Wellington – Petone motorway

Sounds like the tax collectors think they're going to get rich..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Twe have two on the Wainui hill
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Sounds like the tax collectors think they're going to get rich..
    Sure does. When I was on the Gold Coast over summer I heard that the Victorian Police had set the traffic cameras in Melbourne to a max of 51km speed limit in a 50 kph area. They collected about $50,000 in speeding fines in one week. I think they lifted them up to more reasonable levels after that. I'm guessing they were able to pay for what ever it is they were buying.
    Working on a few different projects.

The two on the Wainuiomata Hill are actually quite a laugh to watch, only took a couple of days.
    The one at the top of the hill on the down Side coming into Wainuiomata - people do the usual speed over the crest of the hill, instantly slow down till you get past the "gotya" points, then speed up again, same with coming up the hill, was going up there the other day, was doing 80 (speed limit) some person went past me like I was going backwards, brake lights come on at said "gotya" point, then sped away again once past.

Most people would get caught going down the hill on the Wainuiomata side -- Money gathering ? you bet -- they say its in a high risk area -- Bollocks -- going from memory over the last 20 years there may have been a couple of prangs, BUT its more to do with people doing u-turns on the top of the hill (not allowed to) or a LOT further down the hill after going around a couple of corners ( which people slow down for anyway.

Only other speeders are the ones who decide its suicide time and drive off the side of the hill - and a speeding ticket would be the last thing they would be concerned about.

The one on the corner on the lower Hutt side, they come down Wainui road, on go the brakes as you go around the bend, then speed off again, once past the point the camera operates.

The first camera became operational in Ngauranga Gorge in July 2014.
    That one is a all out money gathering spot. The road speed in the area prior is normally 100, they have one small area that drops to 80 for no real reason, then increases again back to 100, guess where the camera is ?

They aren't that high off the ground -- Waiting for someone to vandalise them.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-10-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

It's the same in Western Australia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Local Police.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	5944
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    I'm guessing they were able to pay for what ever it is they were buying.
    Yeah right. More cameras
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

anyone know what the new thorndon camera is supposed to targe - is it just the on-ramp?
    the old camera was facing across the 3 lanes of traffic, but the new one points up the on-ramp.

With speed cameras measuring true speed and GPS doing the same thing, it's ironic that car speedos still read out "speedo speed" rather than true.

I would like to see car manufacturers' speedo offset reduced from the current 5 km/h to 2 km/h. Especially now, as we are sure to find drivers plodding along (no offence intended Plod...) at a speedo speed of 60 to keep below what they think is 70. Their "60" would be a true speed of 55, or 15 below the true speed limit that the camera is measuring (70)
    i7-6700k @ 4.4GHz, Crucial 250GB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB @ 2.4GHz
    GA-z170n-wifi, Noctua NH-D9L low profile, Silverstone SG08, EVGA GTX970