Rather than throw out my older TV, I have succfessfully set it up elsewhere as a second set. I have connected to it a set top box, a DVD player and a VCR. All the connectionw work correctly except that I cannot record a digital channel to the VCR. I have ret-tuned the VCR with the STP turned on but it doesn't recognise any of the Freeview channels.
Sorry to be rather long-winded but I think it better to provide all information to save back & forth Q & A
What is working : 1. Receiving Freeview channels with STB tuned to TV AV2.
2. TV alone receiving normal analogue channels.
3. DVD player working with TV tuned to TV AV1.
4. VCR plays plays any pre-recorded tapesthrough TV channel 8.
5. VCR records only directly through Ch 8 and only nalogue channels.
6. With timer recording, on-screen display will only allow analogue channels to be displayed and programmed
Unused connections on the equipment might be relevant so these are available:
VCR - 4 RCA plugs, 2 Audio & 2 Video in pairs labelled IN & OUT
STB - a bank of 3 RCA COMPONENT OUT plugs labelled Y[green], Cb/Pb [blue] & Cr/Pr [red]
TV - 6 RCA plugs in 2 vertical banks of 3 labelled resp MONITOR OUT & AV2 IN Each group of 3 are L/R Audio & Video . A 3rd group of 3 labelled AV1 IN is being used by the DVD player.
I hope all this may give someone the info needed to help a dullard like me get the thing working with freeview. Thanks in anticipation.