Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How To Record a Freeview Channel to VCR from A Set Top Box

Rather than throw out my older TV, I have succfessfully set it up elsewhere as a second set. I have connected to it a set top box, a DVD player and a VCR. All the connectionw work correctly except that I cannot record a digital channel to the VCR. I have ret-tuned the VCR with the STP turned on but it doesn't recognise any of the Freeview channels.
    Sorry to be rather long-winded but I think it better to provide all information to save back & forth Q & A
    What is working : 1. Receiving Freeview channels with STB tuned to TV AV2.
    2. TV alone receiving normal analogue channels.
    3. DVD player working with TV tuned to TV AV1.
    4. VCR plays plays any pre-recorded tapesthrough TV channel 8.
    5. VCR records only directly through Ch 8 and only nalogue channels.
    6. With timer recording, on-screen display will only allow analogue channels to be displayed and programmed
    Unused connections on the equipment might be relevant so these are available:
    VCR - 4 RCA plugs, 2 Audio & 2 Video in pairs labelled IN & OUT
    STB - a bank of 3 RCA COMPONENT OUT plugs labelled Y[green], Cb/Pb [blue] & Cr/Pr [red]
    TV - 6 RCA plugs in 2 vertical banks of 3 labelled resp MONITOR OUT & AV2 IN Each group of 3 are L/R Audio & Video . A 3rd group of 3 labelled AV1 IN is being used by the DVD player.
    I hope all this may give someone the info needed to help a dullard like me get the thing working with freeview. Thanks in anticipation.

Default Re: How To Record a Freeview Channel to VCR from A Set Top Box

The VCR (probably) wont pick up any freeview channels, since its got an analogue tuner (not digital) and freeview is digital.

The easiest way buy a USB or PCI tuner that picks up freeview. Even with the DishTV set top box, even tho you can record with it, its not that easy loading the recorded stuff in windows. Since (most programs I've tried) dont / wont load / doesnt recognise the format it recorded whatever program in

Thanks Speedy. However somebody told me that it is possible to record to Freeview but only the particular channel that is currently being viewed. I must have got it wrong.

You won't get any freeview channels through the vcr's tuner.
    You need to connect the AV out from the STB to the AV in on the vcr, then you can record it.

edit: ... and yes, it will only be the channel that the STB is tuned to.
    Promise her a definition
    Tell her where the rain will fall
    Tell her where the sun shines bright
    And tell her she can have it all

I have been using DishTV S7050 PVR which records onto an external USB hard drive. I see that Noel Leeming are selling a later version for $99. I might head down to Noel Leemings to get one for my bedroom.

Read here.

I have tried using my old analogue DVD recorder to record digital TV but have given up trying. I got a DishTV top box instead.
    Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300, Zorin OS 7 Linux

+1 what Fred said. But even then the output from the STB has to be in a compatible format for the VCR and is probably HD over Component (the Y[green], Cb/Pb [blue] & Cr/Pr [red]) or HDMI. You only list a single audio/video connector for in and out so it's probable your VCR only has standard definition composite video in and a single mono audio input. Unless your STB also has a yellow video out you can connect to the VCR chances aren't great it'll work. You could try connecting the monitor out of the TV to the VCR, that has the best chance of working but it means leaving both the STB and TV on in order to record.

What kind of set top box is it? many of them have a USB port and can record TV directly to a flash drive or external hard drive which would give better results than a VCR. Alternatively bite the bullet and get a DVR like the my freeview or TiVo ones (I like TiVo myself). they do the job of both the STB and the VCR in one and can be had reasonably cheap. I'm afraid VCR's are at the end of their usefulness to the point where if you have anything of value on VHS tape I'd recommend looking at converting it to DVD or digital format sometime soon. Once analogue TV is turned off everywhere they are only good for playing back old tapes.
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

I think that it is very simple. I don't record very much digital but to do so I have the digital decoder plugged into the DVD recorder (and from there into the TV.) It is a simple task, then, to record any of the channels from there. Unfortunately, I can only record the channel that is selected on the decoder, but then I don't record all that much so it is not a problem.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

Actually Roscoe made me rethink it, you can unplug the cable from the TV that comes from the STB, plug it into the AV in of the VCR, run another cable to the AV2 of the TV from the AV out of the VCR and everything should work, except you may lose one audio channel if the VCR is mono. You will have to select AV as the input on the VCR and you may have to leave it on for the STB to work with the TV even when not recording. I'd still suggest it's time to retire the VCR myself though.
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

Have been down this route and it's a pain in the butt. Bite the bullet and buy a DVR that can record the FV channels
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Wanderer

We have a VCR not Freeview but standard def Sky.

We run the RF output from the Sky box to the input of the VCR.

Edit. Have you tried the other spare outputs from the STB to the input of the VCR or from the TV output to the input of the VCR?

Edit again - re-read. The STB only have component out? Maybe you can then RCA it from the TV to the VCR then? Or the RF way if the STB has it, doubt that maybe.
    Last edited by Nomad; 13-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.