Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESET analysis

Default ESET analysis

Hi,

against my long held opinion that to scan by ESET was a waste of time-late last night I ran one on C drive, got page after page of information and three "intrusions?", in red

Question: how do I delete or even quarantine those, as no option is showing to do so?

I doubt they are dangerous but ESET picked them up

effie c

Default Re: ESET analysis

How did you come to the conclusion it's a waste of time?
    Every time I have used it on customers PCs it finds things there other AV missed.

Even my PC, almost never in the whole time I've had one, have I had malware, but I still scan, you never know......

The only fault I can say, it's a little too cautious sometimes, I have an .exe packed by a friend, that it flags as dodgy - not malware as such, just dodgy, but I tell it to skip that now to save the warning popping up each time.

It all depends what it found.

Is what it found recognised by you? Some files you have for ages and have been using happily? Or something you don't recognise, also where it finds them can be a clue.

If you're not sure post the results here.
    wipe your paws.

Hi PCtek,

My case for NOT scanning is that ESET is so good that what comes in is stopped by it, so why scan a scanned incoming stuff?

O K I sure can be wrong, but to give you the three "faults/intrusions" would mean I will have to re scan, to identify them to you---as it appears these intrusions require elimination--O K but how?---and they appear to be unable to be eliminated

effie c

Hi PCtek,

My case for NOT scanning is that ESET is so good that what comes in is stopped by it, so why scan, scanned stuff?

O K I sure can be wrong, but to give you the three "faults/intrusions" would mean I will have to re scan, to identify them to you---as it appears these intrusions require elimination--O K but how?---and they appear to be unable to be eliminated

effie c
    Last edited by effie c; 20-02-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: grammer error

[QUOTE=effie c;1147494]

My case for NOT scanning is that ESET is so good that what comes in is stopped by it, so why scan a scanned incoming stuff?
    but to give you the three "faults/intrusions" would mean I will have to re scan, to identify them to you---as it appears these intrusions require elimination--/QUOTE]

True.
    But I'd put it on auto scan once a week anyway....Better to be safe than sorry.

It also keeps a log of the last scan, open it up, go to scanning and look at the log.

If you are using version 6, there is a drop down box next to each item, you can select the action with this.
    wipe your paws.

Hi,
    The scan "copy and paste "will not post as normal shows three "infected " items-no removal or quarantine tools available
    effie c
    Last edited by effie c; 20-02-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Where you mentioned "the three "faults/intrusions" are these under the scan logs or firewall or quarantine log? What options do you get when right clicking.

As PCTek mentioned, can you do a screen shot and post that back
    ( if you click the Square ( maximize) top right next to the X in the Nod window it will expand out the complete log of the items )
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Hi WT,

Nah! I can expand as you say but to paste and copy into F1--it just will not send,for some reason--I can see 198000 odd files ready to post but that's it.
    I ran yet another scan last night and the suspect items are still there even though I tried every possible button/manuevure in the book tp get rid of them.
    It intrigues me as I had been sure that as ESET scanned incoming, why should it find anything after ?
    Is it possible ESET does not need to quarantine/delete these?
    ESET, to me is as good an antiviral program one can get,so, short of righting off the scan- what can I do

effie c

Quote Originally Posted by effie c View Post
    Hi PCtek,

My case for NOT scanning is that ESET is so good that what comes in is stopped by it, so why scan, scanned stuff?
    because NO AV scanner can detect ALL new malware 1st time, everytime. New AV signitures/updates may enable Eset to now detect previously unknown infections, that requires a new scan of the PC.

Download Malwarebytes & run a full(NOT QUICK) scan & see what it finds.
    Some infections simply cannot be easily removed with a virus scan & require a bit of extra work, ie if the file is locked/in use, in system restore, email or compressed files or if the virus had changed ownership of some files.

It could just be a false positive or something inconsequential

Hi 1101,

I wish I could run Malwarebytes,if you look back not so long ago,I asked F1 why I could do a quick scan, but never a full scan--and from which nobody could help--which brings me to why would that be?
    God knows howmany times I have tried.--- in fact you may have an answer- a false positive--I don't know

effie c