Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Matthew

Question What computer setup should I use for uni?

Hey guys,

I'm about to head back to uni and have decided I want to change back to Windows with my computer setup. Previously I was using a 21.5" iMac (the big screen is the most helpful thing for assignments) and an iPad 2 for anything portable, as well as an iPhone.

I'm wanting something similar but running Windows 8, and was thinking either getting a ultrabook and a large LCD monitor, or getting a desktop and a tablet.

What do you guys reckon, and could you give some suggestions on specific products? I have a budget of about $1500 - $2000. Looking for ease of use typing and mouse, as well as being able to access, edit and view documents anywhere.

So far as I see it the ultrabook and LCD is better option as the files are always there and don't have to worry about syncing them, but I am worried it won't be able to run a large monitor very well. Whereas a desktop would be easy to use, but it's a pain access files over the net, and tablet aren't quite there in terms of editing yet.

Looking forward to your opinions, Cheers

Default Re: What computer setup should I use for uni?

How about something like a Samsung ATIV? Flexibility of a tablet, usability of an ultrabook and the power(ish) of a desktop PC. Not enough in the budget for an LCD though...
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

this is not available in New Zealand yet but I'm going to import myself a Surface Pro device from the US, comes out this week

Best of both worlds, real Intel Core i5 CPU in a tablet form factor with a proper OS, Windows 8, but in a tablet form factor that allows a clip on 3mm thick cover that is also a touch keyboard, or a 6mm cover/keyboard that actually has proper movable 'scissor' keys oon the QWERTY keyboard

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...ows-8-pro/home

Matthew

Have had a look at the ATIV in store and was impressed by it, would possibly be able to bundle in an LCD too, or at least make a good cash offer. And yea would have loved to go surface, not sure I can wait until they get here. Thanks!

I can't and won't wait for a Surface Pro. I'm importing my Surface using the NZ Post youshop service www.youshop.co.nz there are other freight forwarders that offer a similar service

Matthew

How much do you reckon it will cost you all up? I'm guessing you'll go the 128GB and get a keyboard cover with it? And reckon it will be able to run a larger LCD monitor?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

What's wrong with like a bluetooth keyboard and your iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewkeelty View Post
    How much do you reckon it will cost you all up? I'm guessing you'll go the 128GB and get a keyboard cover with it? And reckon it will be able to run a larger LCD monitor?
    So my Surface Pro 128GB cost me nz$1300

The screen is full HD' 1,920-by-1,080-pixel resolution with a 208ppi pixel density

It has a Mini DisplayPort that can drive a external screen resolutions up to 2560x1600p

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by nmercer View Post
    So my Surface Pro 128GB cost me nz$1300

The screen is full HD' 1,920-by-1,080-pixel resolution with a 208ppi pixel density

It has a Mini DisplayPort that can drive a external screen resolutions up to 2560x1600p
    Awesome, I'm gonna go that way too, as soon as I sell the iMac. Cheers for your help!

I'm kinda with chill on this, since you have all this apple gear, why spend the money to change? Of course you can sell all your apple tech and get enough to buy some really nice windows gear but is there much point?

An ultrabook will run a large monitor fine, it's the netbooks you have to worry about!
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<