Default What rotten luck!

Several days after RMA'ing a set of logitech headphones to itExpress, I finally get the time to install the replacement HDD I bought, put it in the drive caddy and....

click... click click click

Blardy thing comes DOA, it was packaged pretty well, so unless the couriers were playing footy with it it must have been dead from the factory. Either itExpress or WD will face up with the warranty/RMA so I'm not worried about that. It's just damn rotten luck to have 2x products die on you in one week.

On the bright side, 5x rolls of 120 film showed up today. Time to get the TLR some showtime!
    The Master Of Deception

>~§~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~§~ 4GB RAM ~§~ATI 6770M 1Gb~§~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~§~<

Default Re: What rotten luck!

Could be the drive caddy failed as well. Tried connecting directly as a slave drive. ?
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Laptop, so can't put it in directly, I was considering the caddy though. Just tried it on a WD external HDD USB/SATA interface on which it spools up fine. OSX reports the drive as "uninitialized" at which point I initilize it, all goes well until I used disk utility to format it where it fails with an error "unable to write to last block" or something to that extent.

According to apple support I can just format with windows and she'll be sweet https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Not sure if I should be concerned though, when I first powered it on (with the WD USB/SATA) it clicked off, I thought nothing of it though. It was't until I couldn't partition the last block (and assumed there must be something funny with the external USB/SATA controller, since my WD external drives won't work unless they are used with the said USB/SATA controller... some weird WD firmware thing I guess) So I used the caddy, it worked fine (partitioned) then clicked off and wouldn't spool up again. Kept clicking.

I'll chuck it on my laptop, run HDTune on it and see how it goes. All clear and it goes in (unless you think otherwise?).

Cheers for the heads up wainui, sometimes you just need a shove in the right direction to think straight hopefully it all goes well!
    The Master Of Deception

>~§~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~§~ 4GB RAM ~§~ATI 6770M 1Gb~§~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~§~<

Yeaa.... na. He's dead Jim!

Every block scanned is "bad", Windows won't read it (error) won't format it (error) HD Tune won't scan past ~200mb with every single sector pulling up an error. Starting at random points on the drive results in.... more errors.

Given that, I'd guess head damage? As I sit here, it randomly powers off after a while and spools back up

Here's a nice screenshot of what HD Tune pulls up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	he's dead jim.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	4742

Either way, it's back the WD unless I'm doing something wrong here.
    The Master Of Deception

Looks like its RMA time again.

It happens sometimes, normally when in a hurry and its holding up what ever you are wanting to do at the time.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Oh well, I'm not too worried. The laptop has a perfectly fine 120gB in there which is holding up until the replacement arrives (or rather, gets sent back and another one arrives )

Times like these you *almost* wonder if it was better to buy it from a store for $50 extra so you can run back and say "here's the dead one, get me a new one and lets be done with it" Instead I have to package it up and spend $8 shipping it back.

All in the name of IT repairs! Luckily it's not urgent this time around!
    The Master Of Deception

Any time I've done HDD replacements or any other parts for that matter under warranty, Ive called the Supplier, told them I want a forward replacement, its here either the same day or the next depending on where its come from.

Only thing is with that, you have to be sure its actually a faulty component, other wise if they test and its OK then you have to pay for the second one.

New Forum

Hmm, this takes some funny twists, So last night , using the 2.5' drive, caddy (No. 1) doesn't do anything, spool up and click clack, WD USB/SATA interface (No. 2) spools up OK, but the drive is chocka with errors to the point HD tune won't even scan past 250mb.

Anyway, sent off the RMA email and put another HDD I have been meaning to fix into the No. 2 enclosure, fire up HD tune, run and error scan and low and behold it does the same thing, every block is an error... so I put it in Caddy No. 1 (just to see what happens), but it spools up fine there. Strange since the "dead" drive is 2.5, and the one that I just used is 3.5 - when the faulty drive clicks the read/power lights dim, making me thing perhaps it was drawing too much/faulty power supply, but the 3.5 would take a lot more current to spin up. Anyway, since things aren't adding up I get another USB/Sata interface off another external HDD and try the "broken" 2.5' on that, blardy hell it works! Format to NTFS to check if all is good (seems so) and fire up HD Tune to do a quick error scan to make sure all is well.

I just sent itExpress a quick email to say I'll get back to them, since I *might* have been wrong about it being DOA. I'll try find some known good HDD's and try find out what's up with my caddies and external USB/SATA encolsures
    The Master Of Deception

A high class caddy is very selective of its drive...

Some caddies can do strange things, that's why I never test a HDD Via a Caddy. Always plug it into a motherboard Directly ( via sata or IDE cable /Computers Power Supply). I used to Use Welland enclosures , but had a few die all within six months or so.

I've had a few that caused problems, some were expensive ones other cheap -- They bounce quite well when trying to throw into the rubbish bin from across the yard - That's unless they happen to go straight in first time
    Last edited by wainuitech; 04-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.

New Forum