Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car tyres

Wanderer

Default Re: Car tyres

Yeah I am thinking of getting it. What is the diff between online and mags? Same content or what's the diff?

@Plod - I noticed that one of the front tyres may had been robbed a month or two b/c it has more wearing on the outer side. Thy got this 2.5yr ago from Turners as an import so not bad nevertheless. But all four tyres are pretty much even wear. I heard in the past some mechanics don't give you the WOF until you change the tyres until they are satisfied the tyres will last until the next warrant? Our current one is happy to stick to the 1.5mm criteria and let us change the tyres. Consumer puts the Perreli P7 at woth consdering In the 2012 mag, well all the tyres had upper pricetags, most of the highly recommended ones were european imports.
    Last edited by Nomad; 03-02-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yeah I am thinking of getting it. What is the diff between online and mags? Same content or what's the diff?

@Plod - I noticed that one of the front tyres may had been robbed a month or two b/c it has more wearing on the outer side. Thy got this 2.5yr ago from Turners as an import so not bad nevertheless. But all four tyres are pretty much even wear. I heard in the past some mechanics don't give you the WOF until you change the tyres until they are satisfied the tyres will last until the next warrant? Our current one is happy to stick to the 1.5mm criteria and let us change the tyres. Consumer puts the Perreli P7 at woth consdering In the 2012 mag, well all the tyres had upper pricetags, most of the highly recommended ones were european imports.
    unfortunitly mechanics don't know what mileage you do shouldn't be saying anything of the sort. What might last me to my next warrant is totally different, heck a brand new set of tyres might not last to the next warrant if its yearly
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyre1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	4741  
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Wanderer

Thanks Trev

I got that chart on the October 2012 mag. On the webpage they mentioned about the GT Radial 128 in the 2011 year. Would you have access to that, not sure if the online information goes back that far.

GT Radial Champiro 228 (80%)
    Price: $222
    Good points: Very good at dry cornering. Good at wet cornering. Excellent at dry braking. Good at wet braking.
    Comment: V speed-rating (240km per hour).

Continental Conti Comfort Contact CC5 (76%)

That price is for the 215 the 195 is $169.

That is all the info there is.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Wanderer

:

I was just looking at this and it listed the 128 under small cars.
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/c...yres-we-tested

I just listened to my friend. He's just busy for the moment. The thing is the recommended tyres are ~ or least $200 which puts it among the better brands, not surprisinly most of them are. For the 205/60/15's.

What is surprising is that the 175 Kumho Solus was 5th, and 2nd under the 15" but with the 16" they were ranked last. That's when they tested with the Falcon 215/60/16.

If your parents car is only used around town and the occasional trip a budget tyre like Firestones Supercat will do. They cost around $120. Although they are a budget tyre they still have to meet NZ road safety standards.

Wanderer

Thanks

I found the GT Radial 128. It's on that table under the small cars but it's rated near the bottom end of the entire testing table. It wasn't mentioned in the recommendation. They don't want China made tyres Yeah it appears that none of the more affordable tyres are surveyed by Consumer Mag. I guess average Joe goes into a large franchise the bottom and mid recommendation IME has been the budget tyres. Supercat was mid option, the cheapest was Prime Well. The top suggestion was Firestone TZ, Beaurepairs was GoodYear Assurance which was a good performing tyre by Consumer. And of course real performance were excluded (for the average motorist). Have the appointment at 11.30. Head is spinning. Also found that our former Mazda 323 Familia which has narrower tyres were cheaper they were also 14 inches. Yep .. $120 for those SC's but some stores do try to get $150 of ya.

The consumer report makes interesting reading but they have only tested a fraction of what's available. I buy my tyres from budget tyres in hamilton, I forget the brand but they have all the same standards printed on them as more expensive brands and for the driving I do seem to be ok. I agree that if safety is your biggest concern they may not be the best, but at half the price of the name brands I'll stick with them and drive accordingly. Like someone earlier posted I only do around 5000 km a year and a new set of tyres usually outlasts a car for me.
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    The consumer report makes interesting reading but they have only tested a fraction of what's available.
    The testing is done in Australia in conjunction with Choice the Australian equivalent to Consumer. They probably stick to brands sold in both places.