Default Very odd Windows 8 cursor issue

Hi PF1,

I just installed Windows 8 onto a decrepit old laptop and am experiencing a fairly odd problem, one that I have never seen before. I will attempt to describe the problem below.

Basically it seems as though the code the controls the desktop cursors ability to interact with objects has crashed (I have tried an external mouse as well as the touch pad, bot exhibit the same behavior), I can move the cursor around freely, but attempting to use with Widows 8 hot corners is a not go, as is left or right click. The cursor does not seem to be context aware either, it remains static when mousing over links in Internet Explorer. The scroll wheel still works though.

Things get even weirder in the tiles based area of the operating system too, I can click (and it works) on the tiles and the app will open as expected, but once the app is open the only part of it that the cursor will interact with is the top area, where clicking and dragging will allow me to close the app.

And ideas on what might cause this issue would be greatly appreciated, I am aware that a restart will probably fix the issue but would rather figure out how to stop it from happening, as the owners of the laptop would be uncomfortable attempting to use the keyboard to navigate if the problem should strike.

Thanks everybody for reading this, I hope you have all had a great Christmas and I wish you all the best for the new year and beyond

Cheers

James

Just as an aside, the internet is rather hard to navigate with no mouse! this site has quite an interesting tab order and getting the focus out of the text area was another thing entirely...

Default Re: Very odd Windows 8 cursor issue

Tried updating the drivers? Often mouse problems are caused by driver issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.

Default Re: Very odd Windows 8 cursor issue

try removing the mouse, once windows boots, then plug it into a different USB Port, see if it will automatically reinstall the drivers. Basic USB drivers should work if its a USB mouse.

There is one trick that sometimes works - no guarantees though - load up the BIOS, locate and disable legacy USB mouse.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 30-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum