In a little shed at the bottom of the garden

Default I would like a little advice from people about ISPs, Broadband and VOIP

I have been using a naked DSL/Voip product for a year now. It's crap. I won't say who it comes from but the frequency of outages and unadvised random firmware updates, along with the regular issues with call waiting (including losing it for a few months and currently cutting people off) means that it is intolerable.
    My needs are pretty simple. I work from home, and have teenagers. I need a good chunk of data (200gb per month), a static IP address and that's about it. I have looked at HSNS a little, but hadn't heard of it until very recently. The attraction there is that I could get a contract rate which could be useful. I have talked to about five ISPs in the last week or so. Some are really not very friendly with higher data limits (like Telecom, TelstraClear, and WorldxChange) which makes them pretty expensive.
    Alongside the ISP, I need to find a voip vendor. I have heard good and bad about a couple but don't really have any clear contenders yet and I am wondering if I should go back to plain old voice for now.

I would love some views from people who have a combination that they are happy with, and would recommend to others.
    Cheers
    robo

Default Re: I would like a little advice from people about ISPs, Broadband and VOIP

Orcon sounds about what you need. They have high data caps with ultra fast fibre or their standard network. Bit more expensive though.

Default Re: I would like a little advice from people about ISPs, Broadband and VOIP

Fyx might be worth considering too. You pay $55.30/month for a naked ADSL connection and $0.30/GB (inc. GST) Say you used exactly 200 GB one month you would be charged $115.30. About $15 more expensive than Orcon's 200GB Genius plan but you're not paying for GBs you may not use and you're also not paying $2.00/GB over your data limit.

However you don't get a bundled VOIP service either but I find 2talk does a good job instead.
    Last edited by sal; 30-08-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    Consider it...umm █████

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Hey mate, been a while, welcome back

Go with Orcon if you can on their Genius platform. Getting signed up is a ******* of a job, they seem thick as hell, but once you're there and signed up it's great. Stress that you *don't* want to use their Orcon Genius router though and you want a username override so you can use your own. Get yourself something else, decent.

When it comes to the most reliable setup, it's well worth getting independent devices for everything:
    a) 1-port DSL router such as the Draytek DV120
    b) A WiFi AP that you can put Gargoyle or Tomato on to setup some QoS and potentially some per-device quotas too
    c) A standalone VoIP phone or an ATA Adapter like the Linksys SPA2102. Go with 2talk for sure!

It's also well worth having a dedicated port installed for your router if you can, avoids the flaky filters hanging around your home.

It requires a little more time to get setup, but when you have the QoS and things working well it's amazing how much you can absolutely hammer your internet link and not have to worry about any kind of call quality issues. It's not too expensive up-front either, and if you do it right there's basically zero maintenance too! Well worth it if you ask me

In a little shed at the bottom of the garden

Chill
    You got me thinking. I will investigate some of your suggestions. The SPA2102 sounds interesting. I think separating voice and ISP might be a good idea, but not sure whether that means I end up paying for voip traffic in my gb limit.
    My line is pretty tidy, sits at corner of house closest to the street and has zero extensions. Always been a bit of a pedant about that.
    I have two phone lines and the house line gets bugger all use. I am seriously wondering whether I get distinctive ring and chuck the office number on to the home phone line, that would make a ton of things easier for me.
    Has anyone used HSNS? It's beginning to sound like it might not be worth a look.

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

I second not going with the genius router if you can help it.

Friend told me the other day they do shape data, but I still believe it'd be quite possible to use the 200gb if I tried.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

Considering voice uses bugger all traffic, it's not worth worrying about when you've got a 100GB+ cap. I had a small call center run just fine off a 15GB cap, they got nowhere near it. An uncompressed SIP call using g711 will go through roughly 70MB per-hour. (Up and download total)
    I'd personally just port all the numbers to 2talk... Get their $35 Business Plan or something (Use me as a referrer so I get 15% kickback too! )

HSNS is nice but expensive. Also usually it's symmetrical, like 3mbps / 5mbps, and you pay through the nose vs ADSL. VDSL2 is nice, some ISPs are better than others, most of the cheaper ones oversubscribe a fair bit so regularly attaining the max line speed doesn't happen.

Old dick-head

I'm using Snap as ISP, 2talk as VoIP provider and Cisco SPA122 as ATA for the last month and am very happy so far.

Note that the SPA2102 is end-of-line so you'll have to be quick to find a new one.

^^ Yeah that one, the Cisco SPA122, it's basically the "new" Linksys SPA2102, they're practically identical. Same for how the Links SPA922 / 942 etc are now end-of-life, they're just replaced by Cisco SPA504G's and the likes