Default Quad channel Ram compatible on dual channel motherboard?

Hi, I recently found a site selling quad channel ram cheaper than dual channel ram. My motherboard is a Intel DP67BG.
    I was going to buy 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9)--http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-16gb-quad-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m4x1600c9.html
    Right at the bottom it says compatible with dual channel DDR3 platforms. Will i experience lag phrases etc. I did some googling and found out that some people experience problems and have to under clock it to 1333mhz.

Any help/suggestions are much appreicated.

Thank you
    Specs Intel i7 2600k OC to 4.5ghz , 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600, , 2TB HD, 560ti 2gb running Windows 7 Ultimate

Default Re: Quad channel Ram compatible on dual channel motherboard?

I wouldn't think so.

Um yes as long as there are 4 slots to put the ram in and and its compatable ram. There is no such thing and quad channel ram there is no difference between dual channel or whatever ram but its what the mobo supports is what designates that.

Yes there is such a thing as quad channel RAM, just as there is such a thing as dual channel RAM, but yes the individual RAM sticks are all the same and will work on any board that supports the type (DDR, DDR2, DDR3) and speed.

What makes them dual or quad channel is the manufacturers selling them in a set guaranteed to work in that mode. In theory 2 or 4 individually purchased chips of the same speed would also work, but in practice tiny differences in timing between batches can cause incompatibilities. When dual channel first appeared there were no RAM sets sold for it and it quickly became apparent that choosing two chips at random wasn't a reliable way to do it so manufactururers started testing and selling it in matched pairs , usually with sequential serial numbers and from the same manufacturing batch.
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

Oh ok thanks, so there isn't much diffrence with CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 apart from the fact it's dual channel and has been tested for intel i3-17 sandy bridge cpus? Just worried at the amount of people having to RMA their products and having to change timings.
    Specs Intel i7 2600k OC to 4.5ghz , 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600, , 2TB HD, 560ti 2gb running Windows 7 Ultimate

To simplify you can just think of a quad channel kit as two matched dual channel kits. Some motherboards can be finicky about the RAM installed, and inTel CPUs tend to set RAM timings to a default speed for that model CPU regardless of supported timings higher than that, to get 1600 you may have to set it manually in the BIOS or use the XMP option.

When I built my i5 I had issues that turned out to be faulty RAM (corsair vengeance DDR3-1600), I replaced it with G.Skill ripjaws at the same speed while the corsair was on it's way to RMA and that fixed it. When the RAM eventually came back it worked fine as well but I stuck with the ripjaws. I don't know how you can avoid this, just luck of the draw.

It's good to get 1.5V RAM for sandybridge to avoid potential issues (1.65V seems to work ok but it's the MAX specified voltage for the platform)
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

Ok thanks