Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to RESTORE my deleted DISPLAY ADAPTER

I have a custom made (5yo) pc with a GA8i945gmf all in one MB. Has 3.5gB DDR RAM. Two SATA drives both partitiioned in two. Running 32bit XP pro SP3 fully updated.

After a long week trying to get my XP pro machine to recognize my Viewsonic VX2433 LCD driver - I did a stupid thing & deleted my Display Adapter in Device Manager... I thought that maybe it'd reload & give me the chance to get the screen recognised. Anyway, that was a disaster!
    The PC would boot up as usual but once past the win logo the screen would go blank - buggar. What to do?

So I thought I'd do a repair install using the OS CD. Going past system recovery I started the process. All went well, apart from the annoyance this PC has of just 'turning off' at times - which it did several times during this process, meaning I had to go back & start all-over again. Finally it rebooted & said it was starting windows - guess what - blank screen again!

So I tried Safe Mode, wished I'd have done that first. Anyway, it wouldn't complete loading - it stops on AtiPcie.sys every time.
    I tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt - same result again.
    I tried debugging mode, it got to the win logo then flipped to 'Windows is being restarted......' - but after all night running - no change.
    I tried removing the CMOS battery for 10mins, reinstalled & tried a normal boot. Again, it got to the win logo then flipped to 'Windows is being restarted......' - but didn't.
    I tried Last Good Know Config - same result as above...

On the C/ drive I have an Extracted copy of the Motherboard Video Graphics driver that perhaps I could run to reload the display adapter? Using System Recovery I can get through to the command C/WiINDOWS: and by typing DIR I can see the contents of that folder - but doesn't seem to show the folders inside. If I could locate the folder named 'Motherboard Video Driver Extracted' perhaps I could run setup.exe from there? Is that an option or won't it work anyway?

Another option could be to reinstall the Display Adapter into Device Manager - but with a blank screen, Safe Mode not working, etc the only way I could do it is via a floppy, USB or CD. If that's an option I would need guidance about how to do it..... I have got the old Floppy Boot disc which means I can get through to the C PROMPT - if that helps me?

As a last resort, I have a Paragon copy of my complete C DRIVE (albiet 6mths old) on one of the other drive partitiions. However, that would be a last resort.

Default Re: Need to RESTORE my deleted DISPLAY ADAPTER

Go to device manager, click on an entry then go to action menu click on scan for hardware changes. The LCD isnt the display adapter. Thats the videocard. Did you try running the viewsonic exe file ?? So it'd install the monitor driver?

I can't currently get into Device Manager ......

What does it say when you try to? Does an error come up?

How do I get into device manager when I keep getting a BLANK screen after booting up?
    Pse re-read my Q.
    The problem has gone past trying to load Viewsonic to getting my PC to show a screen after booting.

Older by the minute

Do you not have the CD containing the Graphics driver?

You might be best advised to make the old "Paragon" copy on another partition, C: for the present and see if that will boot for you.

OK, I've successfully loaded a second copy of the XP OS onto one of the other partitions (F) - works beautifully.

Now, I can see (C) drive and all it's files - how do i set about putting the desplay adapter back into the (C) Device Manager?

That wont be easy if windows is on another partition. I would copy what you want off C ( the documents / bookmarks etc to F). Then reformat the C partition. You'll have to reinstall the programs.

Or start from scratch. Format everything. Copy what you want to something else. Like a USB flash drive

Quote Originally Posted by straka01 View Post
    So I tried Safe Mode, wished I'd have done that first. Anyway, it wouldn't complete loading - it stops on AtiPcie.sys every time.
    Try the one on the startup menu: Enable VGA Mode
    Then try reinstalling the driver.
    wipe your paws.

OK. I accept that Speedy answer is the backup situation (& may proove faster in the long run....) but I tried booting into Safe Mode for (C) drive.
    Here's what is said "Windows could not start because the following file is corrupt or missing: root> \system32\hal.dll".

So I copied a version from my new installation on (F) - which has the same date - an replaced the (C) version.
    Re-booted into the (C) drive just to get the same message again?