Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Tree removal & resouce consent

Hi there

Does anyone know how the law actually stands with removing large tree's from my property (just the one)
    I know the law was recently changed , but my council seem to still insist on going through resource consent
    regardless ?? (according to the aborists who gave quotes)

Cheers

Default Re: Tree removal & resouce consent

Depends where you live. Each council have there own bylaws for this.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

mikebartnz

Drill a small hole in the tree and inject some diesel/245t or 24d and a few months later you will have no trouble.
    I can understand some sort of consent if it is likely to fall over the boundary otherwise it is BS.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Can't re Member

It's much cheaper to just do it without asking but that depends a bit on what sort of tree and your neighbours etc. and where you are
    It's best to not use a chainsaw as it attracts attention, you would be surprised what can be done with a new $10 handsaw.
    You can of course trim 20% per year and while the council would like you to still apply for consent there really is no reason to, you are allowed 20% so why ask the council

I thought that all that permit etc nonsense had gone by the board now, so unless it was a listed tree of some significance you could just drop them if you wanted to. I cut half my neighbour's Magnolia off last weekend. It was planted too close to our boundary by the original owner and they grow to a ginormous size with massive roots so I'm trying to keep it in check. I have a sharp pruning saw on a loooong pole so I can make all the cuts from the ground. The neighbour doesn't like it, but I do the decent thing and dispose of the cuttings myself, even though legally I am obliged to return them to him. That would make a good Tui Poster: "Here's your branches back mate" Yeah Right!

Time it caught a dreadful disease from an unwashed saw blade I reckon!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    I thought that all that permit etc nonsense had gone by the board now, so unless it was a listed tree of some significance you could just drop them if you wanted to.
    Yes, the govt passed a law to get rid of it all. The AK council decided they didnt like that, so applied to the environment Court & basically had the new law more or less effectively revoked
    http://www.brookfields.co.nz/newsroo...e_trimming.asp

So govt make a law to limit Council abuse of power, Council finds a way around it
    Just how %#$^$$ up is that !!!!!!

So now , despite being 1 AK supercity, there are 5 lots of rules, all leftovers from the old councils
    As far as I can tell Nth Shore put in a blanket ruling classing almost every large tree in the district a 'protected' tree
    So I have to apply for resource consent to remove any tree....still.

What this means , to me
    Both me & my neighbour want the tree removed. Its dangerous, as branches are falling off onto houses, they could easily fall onto kids
    Its big & between our houses, needs arborist to take it down safely .
    Arborists, understandably wont touch it without resource consent (they are covering their asses)
    So I have to apply for resource consent, could take 3 months, council can refuse this on a whim (thats what they are know to do)

gaaarrrgh
    I really dont want to call in some cowboys to do this illegally(and unsafely)....
    Last edited by 1101; 11-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    As far as I can tell Nth Shore put in a blanket ruling classing almost every large tree in the district a 'protected' tree
    I don't know if Auckland stopped the change or just got more time to sort their Notable tree lists out. Nth Shore have a proposed amendment to their scheme that seems to have vast areas with no notable trees. Unless there's nothing growing there it may not be as bad as you think. See if you can find yours http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/Yo...ified-maps.pdf

Chop first (and quickly), ask questions later. They can hardly make you put it back after it's been cut down. We've cut down a big tree, felled it bit by bit, over a footpath, right into a tipper trailer. Had people standing out on the road with ropes and the whole works. OSH would not have been happy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree as.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	3782

Edit - even found a picture. Was pretty good fun really.
    Last edited by wratterus; 11-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Chop first (and quickly), ask questions later. They can hardly make you put it back after it's been cut down. We've cut down a big tree, felled it bit by bit, over a footpath, right into a tipper trailer. Had people standing out on the road with ropes and the whole works. OSH would not have been happy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree as.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	3782

Edit - even found a picture. Was pretty good fun really.
    and your even wearing one of your stripey T shirts

I own many.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."