Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Record mySky without Macrovision

So My wife was on TV the other day (Breakfast on TV1) and I recorded the program onto our mySky. Now I want to transfer that recording onto a DVD or even my PC so I can get it off the mySky as it is taking up a lot of valuable space. I borrowed my brother inlaws Sony DVD recorder to Dub it, but the Sony won't allow it, as the mySky is copy protected. I'm just using the composite cables so it must be Macrovision protection thats stopping it. Any ideas how I can get this 5 mins of free to air TV onto a DVD?

Cheers

Default Re: Record mySky without Macrovision

Buy a tv tuner then install it

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Buy a tv tuner then install it
    Good plan but none of them say if the Macrovision is an issue or not. Don't want to spend money to find that I've still got the same problem!

Well I can record off any tv channel with a freeview tuner its fine. So you wont have the same prob

Theoretically TV tuners and in fact all capture devices should incorporate macrovision protection or else they are breaking copyright laws. In practice my old winfast2000 I used to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD seemed oblivious to macrovision. I wouldn't count on it though. There used to be various video enhancers available from places like dick smith or Jaycar that apparently remove macrovision from the signal, but I've never tried one to confirm this.

Bottom line is if it's broadcast with copy protection you are not supposed to remove it and copy to DVD, free to air does not mean free to copy and keep.
    If it's available on TVNZ on demand there is software around that will capture a stream as it's played. Again not something I've tried.
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Theoretically TV tuners and in fact all capture devices should incorporate macrovision protection or else they are breaking copyright laws. In practice my old winfast2000 I used to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD seemed oblivious to macrovision. I wouldn't count on it though. There used to be various video enhancers available from places like dick smith or Jaycar that apparently remove macrovision from the signal, but I've never tried one to confirm this.

Bottom line is if it's broadcast with copy protection you are not supposed to remove it and copy to DVD, free to air does not mean free to copy and keep.
    If it's available on TVNZ on demand there is software around that will capture a stream as it's played. Again not something I've tried.
    I think you used to be able to do that with the old software based analogue decoders (the really cheap tuner cards). The hardware encoding ones it was a bit harder....and now most of these are digitial (DVB-S or T) so the analogue ones (with aerial or composite connectors) are pretty hard to find. I believe the Hauppauge HVR2200 is a dual DVB-T and Dual Analog tuner.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

I thought macrovision had something to do with (if you were trying to get a pic (from a computer), if you were connecting to more than 1 monitor / or a tv? Thats the only thing, I can think of where macrovision would stop you from doing this. Or maybe the old VCR's

Macrovision is a copy protection signal added into the video stream. When connecting between devices such as a player and a recorder or capture device if macrovision is present they should block the picture on the input, or in the case of older VCRs that predate macrovision they usually ended up recording something that had messed up audio and pulsed bright and dark in a regular pattern making it basically unwatchable. To get around it you'd need a capture device that has a good automatic gain control to level out the signal and which ignores macrovision. I think it was specifically designed to mess up the inputs of VCRs when they were common.

Some PC capture devices built into TV tuners seem to work . TV's themselves don't have a problem with macrovision no matter how many you connect, but pass the signal through a recording device and it's a different story. My previous TV tuner from memory put a grey box over 90% of the picture if it detected macrovision on the input.
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

take out the mysky HDD? and plug it into your pc. Probably wont work but its an idea. Also do you have problems with the mysky decoder getting really hot, I put a small case fan in mine to keep the air flowing inside it.
    | Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler | Corsair vengance 8gb 1600Mhz | Asus Direct cuII 7950 @ 1200mhz (stupidly unstable)| Ocz agility 60gb SSD + WD caviar black 1tb HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Corsair AX850w | Corsair 600t white |

Computer Tech

Not all shows broadcast will have the macrovision turned on as my dad can record some stuff off the sky box onto his HDD/DVD recorder but not others.
    It sometimes comes up with the screen saying that the program is copy protected.
    You can't just view on TVNZOndemand?