Default change printer from wired to wireless

I have been using a new EPSON TX550W printer/scanner/copier for several months. The device is linked by USB cable to my laptop (Windows 7). Since then i installed a Modem-Router (TP-LINK Wireless N ADSL2) which works fine providing wireless uploads and downloads to & from the net to my laptop and an iPad .

I now want the wireless network extended to encompass the TX5550W but am having problems. I cant “add a device’ via Control Panel as its already there! And the Epson installation software has taken me in circles.

Will I have to uninstall the TX 5550 as a wired device and re-instal it as a wireless one? I had thought it may be useful to retain the wired option for use if WiFi stopped working

Wanderer

Default Re: change printer from wired to wireless

This may not be the only way.
    What I do is turn that laptop on and the printer. I assume the printer is shared, and it is working with that laptop - configured, ready to print etc.

On the other computer, I browse the network or network neighbourhood of the laptop. I then right click the printer and "connect". It will automatically install the driver for you.

Nah you can have both installed if you want - wired and/or wireless. Useful if the laptop is broken or been taken away outside. You can just carry the printer upstairs or take your laptop downstairs, and print via USB ..... or RJ45.

You could try adding a network "printer port" manually and changing the exiting printer config to use it instead of the USB one, but the least messy way would be to uninstall the existing USB driver completely, then install it as a network printer.
    Promise her a definition
    Tell her where the rain will fall
    Tell her where the sun shines bright
    And tell her she can have it all

Look up your Epson manual (or look up your manual on Epsons website - www.epson.co.nz) to config your printer to your wireless network. Once done, install your driver disk (or download latest full driver package from epson website) and when installing the drivers choose the network (not USB) option, it should automatically detect your printer on your network and set it up. You should also be able to scan to and from your printer via the network once setup. Good luck.

MUCH THANKS FOR HELP.
    I INSTALLED PRINTER AS WIRELESS BUT IT DIDNT LIKE THAT. SO UNINSTALLED WIRELESS CONNEXION - WHICH REQUIRED UNINSTALLATION OF ABOUT 4 ASSOCIATED PGMS LIKE "EPSON SCAN" ETC, (i.e. DUPLICATED PGMS, WHICH WERE ALREADY THERE WITH PREVIOUS WIRED INSTALLATION). SO IVE NOW GOT IT BACK TO WHERE IT WAS & WILL LEAVE HAVING ANOTHER TRY UNTIL IM HAPPY THAT WIRED CONNEXION GOING OK FOR ALL FUNCTIONS i.e. PRINT, SCAN & COPY.

IT Technician/Consultant SolMiester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timmy5953 View Post
    MUCH THANKS FOR HELP.
    I INSTALLED PRINTER AS WIRELESS BUT IT DIDNT LIKE THAT. SO UNINSTALLED WIRELESS CONNEXION - WHICH REQUIRED UNINSTALLATION OF ABOUT 4 ASSOCIATED PGMS LIKE "EPSON SCAN" ETC, (i.e. DUPLICATED PGMS, WHICH WERE ALREADY THERE WITH PREVIOUS WIRED INSTALLATION). SO IVE NOW GOT IT BACK TO WHERE IT WAS & WILL LEAVE HAVING ANOTHER TRY UNTIL IM HAPPY THAT WIRED CONNEXION GOING OK FOR ALL FUNCTIONS i.e. PRINT, SCAN & COPY.
    If it were me, considering you have an iPad, i would leave the printer attached to the laptop via wired network or USB and install Collobos Software 'Finger Print", so you can print wirelessly from the iPad....

http://www.collobos.com/
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, 9600GT, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP L2045w, HOME SERVER HP ML350G5 W2012 Host
    WORK-Silverstone PS07 ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, i5 3470 @4Ghz, 16GB HyperX, GT630, 3 x Samsung S22B420

thanks Solmeister, i'll do that for the iPad.NZ$13 is not a lot for that additional utility.