Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No Local Area Connection Showing in Network Connections

OK Here goes I am new to these things so see if I can work it out. I have looked through 100's of threads on helping me out and finding fixing all to no avail yet.
    I have a Compaq CQ61 Laptop (more specs are available if you want them). I want to connect directly to my modem via Ethernet cable but when I plug the cable into the modem and laptop no lights blink no connections come up nothing. I know it's a working connection because I can connect with another laptop. Under Network Connections there is no Local Area Connection showing. Now I have done 100 things to get it to show up but it doesn't seem to work. I suppose my question is am I able to connect this way or not? On the Compaq support page specs say network card is 10 /100 integrated. I am at my wits end! Is the network card stuffed or what.
    Also running Windows 7 Home Premium

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks in advance

Default Re: No Local Area Connection Showing in Network Connections

Is it enabled in device manager?

No shows no sign of it only shows Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter which i connect through with a wireless connection no problems.

If its not in device manager, its either not enabled in the BIOS. Or the drivers may not be installed properly. Or its dead
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 11-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.

I have enabled what it says as network card in the BIOS will check exactly what it says and re post, I have re installed the drivers from HP and the Realtek RTL8102E/8103E Family NIC Driver last time from memory I think said it could not find the device. How do I find out if it's dead can I open it up and look? and what would I be looking for? Thanks

Just checked BIOS and it only had Under Boot Options Internal Network Adapter Boot I enabled this still no luck.
    Last edited by missa; 11-02-2012 at 05:58 PM.

You won't be able to see if it's stuffed on a visual inspection most likely. Is there any power saving enabled in the BIOS for the network adaptor? Some of them when WiFi is enabled disable the LAN adaptor.

Could not find any power saving things in the BIOS but did go to advanced power options and changed the settings for the WiFi adapter. I read somewhere about pinging address to see if I could get results which I have done and have received reply's. What kind of NIC would I need to buy to replace so I could use the Ethernet method of connecting to modem any suggestions? I have looked at a few but am really unsure what I should be looking for Thanks

Seen this happen once on a ASUS laptop I had here --- It is possible to be software related, but to find out this is what I did ------ I booted the laptop from a ubuntu Live CD, with the Ethernet cable attached - The live CD bypasses the OS completely, when it booted from the CD the internet connection was detected OK, so it pointed to a software problem.

If a live CD didn't detect it, then its either failed, or turned off in the BIOS someplace.

If the port on the board is damaged, then depending on what slots are available on the laptop will depend on what you have to use. If you have a PCMCIA slot then you could plug in something like This here Once again, depends on the slots you have (or dont)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Sorting out the ubuntu Live CD now if it is a software problem how would I go about fixing it?

In reguards to the slots on the laptop it does not look as I have a PCMCIA slot only a 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader. Would an adapter like this workhttp://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/l...-446274053.htm Hope I did that right or could I get one to fit the card reader.

Thanks

OK so I ended up installing ubuntu as a dual operating system to check things out, didn't work by the way so i thought whatever I will just leave things alone and use the wireless. Anyways since installing Ubuntu I can now longer load windows it gets to the start up screen and gives you a choice of windows or ubuntu, when i click on windows it loads up to black starting windows screen then stops and it comes up a blue screen with : A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

CACHE_MANAGER

Blah Blah Blah

At the end it has Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x00000034 (0x000000107,0xc0000420,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have tried advanced settings to boot in safe mode and all the other options it has HELP! Note I can still get into ubuntu Any suggestions?
    I have also tried to reinstall windows from a cd no luck either comes back with same message.