Default UEFI With Dual Boot Windows XP/Windows 7

I am thinking about upgrading my current system sometime this year. Currently I dual boot Windows XP 32 Bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (the former for work, the latter for music making). I'll probably end up with an i7 Ivy Bridge based system with a Z77 chipset based motherboard. The problem I have is I believe all the newer motherboards support UEFI rather than the old BIOS, and Windows XP won't be able to boot from this (as far as I know). I'm wondering with the dual boot setup if it would be possible to have the Windows 7 boot manager boot up Windows XP?

Default Re: UEFI With Dual Boot Windows XP/Windows 7

Seems like boards will boot from BIOS OR UEFI. Even a lot of current boards have UEFI capability.

Read here http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...hello-to-uefi/

I've got a i5-2300 with Asus P8H67 that has Windows XP and 7 in dual-boot. It's definitely possible.

However, XP lacks SATA support, and may be a bit of problem (although it's a problem with all new-ish computers, and is independent of UEFI).
    The problem with Linux for an average user is that the hardware either worked with Linux out of the box, or it most likely won't work at all.

There's SATA drivers for XP on the ASUS site. But you would (probably) have to slipstream them. if you dont have a floppy

Ah ... try here and I think you can get an answer on XP support for SATA

Snap Speedy !!!

I'm pretty sure it'll just work, I have an i5 on a asus P8H61 with UEFI bios that's running XP just fine. No installation problems and the supplied CD seemed to load drivers for everything. I suspect the only potential problem would be if your boot drive was larger than 2TB and I'm not sure about that one. I find less and less reason to use XP these days however, do you really need to dual boot?
    The New ITX beast; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb samsung SSD, HD 7970

Thanks for all the replies. I seem to recall I slipstreamed Sp2 into XP before installing it. I've got 2 400gb SATA drives in my current system, doing a clean install of XP Professional after I built it. When installing XP recognised the drives, and I was able to partition and format them with no issues.

I hope the UEFI does just work. The only reason I'm using XP is I work as a developer and a lot of our clients are still using this OS. Vista didn't get a look in, and uptake of Windows 7 hasn't been that rapid.
    Last edited by andrew_k; 26-01-2012 at 07:55 AM.