Default i5 2500k idle temp at 50-60c?

Hi ya guys

Just got an odd issue at hand.

Had built a system with i5 2500k with a motherboard, Intel DH67BL (H67 chip chased). The idle temperature, while in bios, reports to be at 50-60c. Looked around on the net, appears most people would have it idling around 30-40ish degrees.

The fan speed in the bios ranges from 900rpm - 1800rmp, regardless, cpu temp will be hovering between 50-60c.

What is odd is that with this motherboard I cant seem to adjust the cpu's fan rpm directly. It notes the fan control in 'minimum cycles' and 'maximum cycles'.

Currently I have set to the fan to maintain the cpu temp at 40c, but the lowest temp that I've seen so far is 50c.

I was wondering if any one has any suggestion on the possible cause of this issue. Please note the follow have been tried:

1. Reinserted the CPU's heatsink
    2. New application of Zalman's thermal paste have been applied. Default Intel's thermal paste have been used as well.

Would faulty cpu or motherboard cause high temp issues? Or is it merely just a setting within the motherboard that need fine tuning?

Thank you guys!

Default Re: i5 2500k idle temp at 50-60c?

Doesn't sounds right... You're using the stock cooler right?

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post
    Doesn't sounds right... You're using the stock cooler right?
    Yep stock cooler.

Assembled a i7-2600 (w/ stock cooler) a week or two ago, it hovered around 35-41c on idle, so was quite surprised the i5-2500k is idling at 50-60c ><

Got no spare parts to test out the components as well ><

It does sound a little high, hows the airflow in your case? Any other sources of heat near the CPU?, any over voltage or overclocking? (prob not on that motherboard)
    Another thing to possibly try, grab some monitoring software such as realtemp or speedfan etc then stress test with prime 95 and keep a close eye on it. If it stays under say 80 degrees under 100% load then it's not likely to cause you any problems in real use.

An unrelated comment, H67 is not an overclocking chipset and a 2500K is an unlocked CPU that's main point is overclockability. I wouldn't have combined the two. The plain i5 2500 would have made more sense with that board.

You say you reinstalled the heatsink, did all 4 clips definately click down properly? I've had issues with these in the past. The white plastic insert inside the clips sometimes has to be pushed down to the bottom inside the black surround before clipping to the motherboard. This happens fairly often when reinstalling, the insert moves up and then won't engage properly. Push one clip till there is a definate click, then the one directly opposite (don't go around in a circle). Make sure all 4 click down, then look at the bottom of the motherboard to make sure they all have the white plastic clips fully engaged (you can do this before any of this to see if it's on properly now).

To explain a little, the white bit goes through first then a black plastic pin forces into the hole and spreads the white clip to lock it into place. When the clips are removed the white bit doesn't always move completely off the black pin maiking it difficult to fit properly.

If it's not that maybe you just got unlucky and got a hot running i5
    The ITX game machine; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD, R9 290

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

My i5 idles around 40-50 degrees depending on the weather. At the old house it used to idle at around 30. I simply blame having carpet. When you assembled the i7 was it in a HAF case or a different house or what?
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

In regards to airflow, the temp was taken while the side panels were off. Havnt took any readings with the side panels on yet, bit too worried of over heating.

Obstructions, nothing in the way, this isnt my first build, so cable management had been in place ^^

As for the clips, yeah had made sure those white clips went in first before the final lock went in place. Had experienced what you mentioned before with my first LGA775 build, hated these cpu clips, loved the old 475 or AMD's clip-on locks.

As for the i7, that was in a different house and completely build.

If it just a really hot i5, would that consider to be faulty?

But yeah, will perform a few more cpu intensive tasks and watch out for the cpu via a software app. I was thinking there may be a possibility that the mb is reporting the wrong temp. As when I touched the heatsink, it was still very cold, thinking that if it was giving constant 50-60c, then surely the heatsink will be fairly warm or hot.

More suggestions are welcome

What are you reading temperature with? Some applications will give weird readings under certain combinations.. Usually the MOBO CMOS stage will give the most reliable readings, before your system loads windows.

Quote Originally Posted by PENTIUM View Post
    What are you reading temperature with? Some applications will give weird readings under certain combinations.. Usually the MOBO CMOS stage will give the most reliable readings, before your system loads windows.
    The idle temperature, while in bios, reports to be at 50-60c.
    Does that answer your question?