Smile modem router with USB ports

Hi guys, I am looking for a good quality N modem/router with one or two USB ports for a printer and ex-HDD -- any suggestions please. G

Default Re: modem router with USB ports

You will find opinions are mixed on this subject. My experiences are akin to a lucky dip.

I have the Netgear DGN2200 - wireless N and has USB slot. Allows me to plug in a external HDD and access it remotely either by http or ftp. As well as anyone on the local network. Can also set up upto 5 or so different and separate SSID wireless networks and can isolate them from your workgroup as a 'guest' - very good feature. I have a guest account which I will happily hand out the password to visitors without risk of them accessing my shared documents/printers etc. But one word of warning with the Netgear routers - they will overheat easily. The DGN2200 comes with a stand that stands it on it's end vertically - without it the heat builds up causing problems as the case when horizontal is slightly 'dome' shaped and heat cannot escape. I read a few reports of the LAN ports failing on some peoples DGN's after a few months however mine has been trouble free.

If you go for this model be sure to look for the best price - I have seen it for as much as $300 and as little as $100 so shop around.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I'd use something separate for USB HDD / Printer sharing personally.

Thanks for your replies guys. Seems that there can be problems via the router for wireless operation of my HDD or printer. I can just plug the printers USB into laptop but was hoping for a reliable easy way via a router. G.

I have a Linksys PSUS4 print server switch works brilliantly but it seems nobody stocks them anymore, last time I looked a few weeks ago for a friend I couldn't find them

Thanks for your reply Gary. I can't find one in NZ but will keep looking -- someone somewhere must have a modem/router that will do the job I want. Cheers G.