Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Symantec Endpoit

There was a discussion on antivirus the other day, the guy insisted Endpoint was the best AV, not Nortons, but Endpoint.

You ever tested it Wainuitech?
    Last edited by pctek; 17-10-2011 at 06:05 AM.
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Symantec Endpoit

Symantec endpoint is a corporate antivirus, its kind of a two piece piece of software, the domain controllers and other servers will run Endpoint and one of them will have a control panel that can show you every computer on the domain and their end point status.
    At my previous job all of the customers ran Endpoint, it worked very well, seems the only thing that got through was the false anti-virus programs, was fun trying to remove them over rdp.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

Nope, never tested it. As it was mentioned above, being a two part system, many places that have that sort of setup either have their own IT people or contractors.

Its to advanced for home users really -- hell people complain about having to buy a single user licence sometimes and maintain that, let alone run a server or a PC acting as a server , then have the AV's connecting to that . The Symantec Endpoint Protection has a minimum of 5 users.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

SEP can be run stand alone, you don't need the server back end. It can do some other cool tricks too, such as locking down USB ports so they are read only.

I'm yet to find a corporate AV as good (support/management/detection wise), I've seen eTrust used in a few places which is good for management but painfully bad at detection. Apparently NOD32 management isn't too bad, but im yet to use it and doesn't seem to be widely used.

Also there is a corporate version of MSE, Forefront, but once again I have not used it.

At our school we use endpoint, and like Alex b said we don't have a central endpoint server. Afaik the ministry gives it to us to use

IT Contractor

SEP is rubbish.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

End point is not meant to be used as a stand alone - while it more than likely does, its also an effective way of using it.

Nod32 needs the the Business Edition, I have it, but have not set it up to do local admin, no real need I just wonder off to the other rooms and do what I need to do if anythings needed.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

IT Contractor

Our SEP deployment uses 4 replicated management servers with about 300 clients. It's unreliably, it's detection is no better than any other Symantec AV, it has constant memory usage issues, it's internal DB constantly corrupts forcing whichever management server is affected to rebuild it's whole DB from one of the others, clients randomly stop updating due to local config corruptions which require client redeployments.

It's far from being the corpse solution, I'll grant it that, but it is your typical Symantec product.
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

See it here on various school PCs, it's always a pain. And it kills network browsing speeds, unless you turn the real time scanner off.
    Last edited by wratterus; 17-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

I have it installed in several schools. Only use it as it is free from the MOE. I don't have to many issues with it besides when the management server died and I had to re install.

ESET management is OK and have this installed also in several sites. I prefer ESET just because it's not Nortons!!

I have had issues with both but have found ESET easier to manage.