Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Is it unprofessional to use American spelling

As the title says.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Golden Oldie

Default Re: Is it unprofessional to use American spelling

American spelling is taking over because of spell checker, because today's products from our education system do not know to spell.

A small true anecdote;

When the RNZAF bought their new C130H Hercules in the late 60s, New Zealanders were sent to the USA for training.
    The Americans sent them all on an English language course; officers SNCOs and aircraft tradesmen.
    Great ructions -they refused to attend.
    The USAF Base Commander tried to tell it as it was to the RNZAF officers, "All foreign aid personnel are required to attend this course".
    First mistake - the USAF Brigadier was told in no uncertain terms that this was not foreign aid - it was a NZ Government Purchase.
    Then the near diplomatic incident from the NZ team commander, Wing Commander Bernie O'Connor.
    "You bastards go away and learn to spell and write English, and when you think you know how to, come back and we will check you out."

Caused more than a bit of a stir at the time, but the point was made, the Kiwis didn't have to attend English Language tuition from the Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by KenESmith View Post
    American spelling is taking over because of spell checker, because today's products from our education system do not know to spell.
    I'd disagree.
    Most spell checkers allow you to choose English English (British, Aus) or US English.

It's unprofessional if you're not american.
    Still - more unprofessional to invent your own spelling.
    wipe your paws.

Generally both english and american spelling is accepted these days, and often a mixture of both is used in places like NZ. We started out using purely english spelling here but over time with increasing american influence the spelling is becoming accepted. Case in point how may kiwis write "*******" instead of "********", somehow the american one seems slightly less offensive in written form but I firmly support the english spelling for this one.

Some things also are correct in both countries but common use differs, for example americans are more likely to use "spelled" and english "spelt" but both are correct in both countries (although many people consider common usage as the "correct" one).

To answer the original question, in my opinion the official spelling in New Zealand is the english one and therefore is more professional. It's a minor point though.

Edit: Lol, we have a language filter? one of those words starts with a s s and the other is spelt correctly :P
    Last edited by dugimodo; 21-09-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    The New ITX beast; Bitfenix prodigy, 550W PSU, i7 3770, 8Gb RAM, 256Gb samsung SSD, HD 7970

Any form of spelling that eschews txtspeak and "programme" is probably safe enough, although any language that has -ough suffixes is not worthy of formal rules for anything. Since the English have never reached national consensus on even spoken English, they are possibly the worst available choice to be arbiters of spelling.
    Last edited by R2x1; 21-09-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    To make cider;
    Crush a large quantity of Apples,
    Smile :)

I prefer to use either a New Zealand, Australian or UK English spell check dictionary. I find US dictionaries to be a pain in the neck.

We as New Zealanders use the UK English spelling. I would consider that American spelling should be confined to the USA and not be used by New Zealanders.
    Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300, Zorin OS 7 Linux

I prefer to use US spelling. Less complicated than the English / French version the poms use..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Time to roll this one out again

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If anyone hasn't come across this before, it was the result of some language research at Cambridge University.

Personally although I'm more careful than most with spelling and grammar, the end result is being able to communicate effectively. Not withstanding, Noah Webster should have been shot for starting out to sabotage a language.

Edit: where's Roddy Boy these days?
    Last edited by WalOne; 21-09-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
    - John Steinbeck (author, The Grapes of Wrath)

If you were born and educated in New Zealand, it is ignorant to spell in Amerikan

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    Time to roll this one out again

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

All that is, is mixing up the letters.
    You spell badly it not only looks like you went to school to eat lunch, it means you don't care. Typos excepted....
    wipe your paws.