Thread: VPN info

Default VPN info

I am looking to get a VPN.

However, this is all new to me. I am in the dark in how to set one up and what the differences between PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN is let alone which one will work with my router.

I looked at Strong VPN, which are highly rated, but I don't know which package to order and what they all do. I was going to get the 55 dollar per year package. But, like I said, this is ALL new to me.

My router is new : Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band router WNDR3400

My PC is self built : Win XP Pro SP3 (slipstreamed), 3G ram, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5200+, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: VPN info

What are you wanting to use the VPN for? This has a big impact on what is the best solution to recommend.

Are you setting up a VPN system for a workplace, or are you after something to provide you with unrestricted internet access from a censored country or location, or are you trying to get an IP address based in another country, etc etc... you can see that there are a *lot* of variables here; it's not really possible to make a valid recommendation without more info.

OpenVPN is definitely the most flexible of the options you've listed, but may or may not be appropriate - it depends on your requirements.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Erayd View Post
    What are you wanting to use the VPN for? This has a big impact on what is the best solution to recommend.

Are you setting up a VPN system for a workplace, or are you after something to provide you with unrestricted internet access from a censored country or location, or are you trying to get an IP address based in another country, etc etc... you can see that there are a *lot* of variables here; it's not really possible to make a valid recommendation without more info.

OpenVPN is definitely the most flexible of the options you've listed, but may or may not be appropriate - it depends on your requirements.
    To make my internet activity untraceable with fake IP address, etc.

To "tunnel" and use internet without ISP hindrance, including file sharing and streaming of content.

Does that help?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Unfortunately we can't condone that kind of discussion here. Wish we could, but we can't ... It's against the rules.

BTW - It's not your ISP you should be worried about, they don't care.
    UPDATED: My thoughts on routers and reliability for 2016 / 2017!

Before you ask a question, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Sick of slow internet? What you want is fast internet, internet that goes Full Tilt