Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beautiful Antrim Coast Ulsterman's Avatar

Default Repair Windows Installation

I am trying to use my XP installation CD to repair an XP installation using the XP installation disc. From the Welcome To setup I can select "To repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console, press R" which I have done. I then get a dos command that says, 1: C:\WINDOWS, Which Windows installation would you like to log onto <To cancel, press ENTER>?

What do I do now? It seems that I can only type in one number or letter but that is not correct as no numbers or letters appear to work.

So it seems that I have the ability to do a repair but I cannot see how to activate it.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
    - Mark Twain.

Default Re: Repair Windows Installation

So exactly what happens, Message etc when you press 1 on the keyboard ( not the Numeric Pad) ?

What you should get next is a prompt to type in the admin password, if there isn't one just hit enter, and you should then be at the prompt C:\Windows>

Dont mean to be offensive, but do you actually know what to type in after you get to the prompt ?

The XP recovery console is all command prompt,DOS, you have to type in commands, its not like windows where you can click on things ?

Whats the problem you are having with XP anyway ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
    I can select "To repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console, press R" which I have done.
    Is this what you want to do?
    This is the first prompt screen, you have a choice of selecting R for Recovery Console - which will give you a DOS prompt here, or you can choose press Enter to Install.

If you choose Enter to Install, it will stop at another prompt screen, this time giving you choices of Enter to Install (an entire new install) or R to Repair.

Then you choose Repair which looks as if it's doing an install, but it doesn't touch your personal stuff or anything, just fixes Windows itself.

If you don't get the choice of R for Repair at this second screen, then Windows is usually too stuffed to fix.
    wipe your paws.

Thanks for your replies.

The problem is that the PC continually reboots. It starts loading windows, but does not get past the first screen (with the blue status bar) before it reboots. It does not reboot if I go to the installation disc which tells me that it is a windows problem. So I thought I may be able to use the disc to repair the problem.

After going to the disc I came to the point where I could ask it to go to the repair, but as I said, it asked me which windows installation I would like to log into, but to answer your question Wainui, I do not know what to enter which is why I asked.

Pctek: I have followed your instructions and have arrived at a screen that says:

Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following windows installation.
    C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional."
    Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.
    To retry ugrading to Windows XP, press ENTER.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
    To quit Setup, press F3.

Which option should I choose?
    - Mark Twain.

Couple of things about this bug me....
    1) the message appears to be talking about upgrading your windows repair
    2)-repair install WILL wipe out all on the administrator documents and if this is your only account on the PC, you will lose everything!
    3) i would try a safe boot and try and work out why the PC is looping rather than try 1 way solution of repair!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

SolMiester: Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am unable to go to the safe boot. I continually press F8 but it does not work.

I am happy to have all the administrator documents wiped out. All my saved files are on my other HD so no worries there.

So I will happily reinstall XP if that's what it takes to get the PC working again. At the moment it is of no use at all.
    - Mark Twain.

If you already have saved your files/documents else where, then pressing ESC would install a fresh copy of Windows.

You will of course need your various drivers handy to install when prompted.

But whether a fresh install of windows will solve your problems or not.....

I would like to log into, but to answer your question Wainui, I do not know what to enter which is why I asked.
    I already asked/ advised number one on the keyboard
    So exactly what happens, Message etc when you press 1 on the keyboard
    Sounds like it may have been partway through a Upgrade of the OS, possibly a service pack, OR some other type of updates which can be described as "upgrading" and for some reason failed or got stuck, if you have the option to finish the actions ( which you say press Enter) then try that.
    -repair install WILL wipe out all on the administrator documents and if this is your only account on the PC, you will lose everything!
    Errrrrrrrr NO! By default the Real administrator account is hidden in XP, and to have it only as the one main account you have to do a bit of fiddling around with settings. You will normally have the user account, and the hidden Admin account.

"If" theres any documents etc in the hidden Admin account, then they may get wiped. The normal user account should be fine.

What happens when you do this:
    To retry ugrading to Windows XP, press ENTER.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

WT - If no user accounts are created in XP, the user account used will be the administrator account period. An any repair install will wipe the docs and setting.. I have suffered from this before mate!
    Windows 7 hides the admin account, XP does not!

LOL WT - I just worked out where you got the hidden admin bit from...LOL, when XP is install it asks you to create other accounts yes!, will this didnt always happen, there must have been a change in the install routine...

When XP 1st came out, you were not prompted to create accounts, unless it has something to do with the different licencing versions!
    Last edited by SolMiester; 16-05-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

What happens when you do this:[/QUOTE] To retry ugrading to Windows XP, press ENTER.

I recieve the licencing agreement, so I pressed F8=I agree.

Then, If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.

To repair press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows without repairing press ESC.

C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

I pressed R.

Setup has already attempted to upgrade C:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Setup will try to complete the upgrade again.

To retry upgrading to Windows XP, press ENTER

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC

To quit Setup, press F3.

Which option should I choose, please?
    - Mark Twain.