Default Wifi hacking legal

I couldn't believe what I was reading:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22258...now_legal.html

I get it though. A router is not a computer system. The law is out dated.

Here in New Zealand a guy was arrested for allegedly stealing wifi:

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdeta...storyid=192804

What does New Zealand law define a computer system as?

Default Re: Wifi hacking legal

He broke the law not because it was a computer system, but stealing a closed service!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

S248

Interpretation

For the purposes of this section and sections 249 and 250,—

access, in relation to any computer system, means instruct, communicate with, store data in, receive data from, or otherwise make use of any of the resources of the computer system

computer system—
    o

(a) means—
    +

(i) a computer; or
    +

(ii) 2 or more interconnected computers; or
    +

(iii) any communication links between computers or to remote terminals or another device; or
    +

(iv) 2 or more interconnected computers combined with any communication links between computers or to remote terminals or any other device; and
    o

(b) includes any part of the items described in paragraph (a) and all related input, output, processing, storage, software, or communication facilities, and stored data.

Section 248: substituted, on 1 October 2003, by section 15 of the Crimes Amendment Act 2003 (2003 No 39).
    Source: http://legislation.govt.nz/act/publi...&p=1#DLM330416

S252
    Accessing computer system without authorisation

(1) Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years who intentionally accesses, directly or indirectly, any computer system without authorisation, knowing that he or she is not authorised to access that computer system, or being reckless as to whether or not he or she is authorised to access that computer system.

(2) To avoid doubt, subsection (1) does not apply if a person who is authorised to access a computer system accesses that computer system for a purpose other than the one for which that person was given access.

(3) To avoid doubt, subsection (1) does not apply if access to a computer system is gained by a law enforcement agency—
    o

(a) under the execution of an interception warrant or search warrant; or
    o

(b) under the authority of any Act or rule of the common law.
    Source: http://legislation.govt.nz/act/publi...&p=1#DLM330430

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like in NZ this would still be illegal, since a wireless network counts as a "communication links between computers or to remote terminals or another device", and using someone's network without their permission would fall under section 252 of the Crimes Act.
    Last edited by somebody; 21-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

The ruling made by the judge was in the Dutch court.
    Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300, Zorin OS 7 Linux

Yup. That IS a typo. 8ftmetalhaed's Avatar

By the time the world legislates to stop wifi crackers, we'll be onto debating whether or not stealing people's teleport flux trails for personal redirection is right.

And a router is a pc. It has an OS, and they CAN be used for storing bits and bytes. I mean hell, you could be stupid and stick something in the Message of the day that was sensitive. Stupid, but it'd still be something stored.

Screw you, globally outdated legal systems.
    pc: i5 750 8GB ddr3 xfx 5770 Gbyte UD4P55 1TB WD Green, OCZ Vertex 4 64g SSD CoolMast Glad 600 case w/500 W PSU
    Laptop: Gateway i5 430M 4GB DDR3 ATI 5470 512mb 750gb HDD 15" 768p LED panel

In the end of it though, not our problem.

I Wounder how they found him out?
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    In the end of it though, not our problem.

I Wounder how they found him out?
    It appears like a case of neigbourhood watch coming to the fore. He was seen acting suspiciously and was reported by a member of the public.
    Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300, Zorin OS 7 Linux

Fail then. Breaks WPA or WPA2 (i'm assuming it wasn't WEP) then gets caught because he was suspicious
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<