Foundation Member

Default How to open an all in one computer case

I have an Acer Aspire Z5610, which is now out of warranty.

It is a desktop type computer which has a very noisy fan. Particulary so when first switched on. It always requires a reboot, which cures the problem till the next day. But I digress !

Wonder if anybody knows the secret to getting into one of these machines, so I can see if I could replace the fan myself. It might be a specially designed fan of course, in which case I could not do it!

Default Re: How to open an all in one computer case

Youre not the only one. A pdf file for it is there. Did you post that?

Foundation Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Youre not the only one. A pdf file for it is there. Did you post that?
    I don't believe so. But in any case I don't think it could be a CPU fan as the CPU would be well and truly fried by now ! I believe it is a system fan.

Any thought as to why it occurs on first start up each day ? Never after that first boot each day ?

I'll read the PDF file tonight and see what is involved. Might just have to "pay the price" and get Acer to do it. If they will, that is !

Could be hitting something or its old. Where are you in NZ??

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    I don't believe so. But in any case I don't think it could be a CPU fan as the CPU would be well and truly fried by now ! I believe it is a system fan.

Any thought as to why it occurs on first start up each day ? Never after that first boot each day ?

I'll read the PDF file tonight and see what is involved. Might just have to "pay the price" and get Acer to do it. If they will, that is !
    This is my take on this common phenomenon

The fan probably has porous bronze (Oilite) bushes. These bearings are initially filled with oil using a vacuum technique. When running normally the oil recirculates within the bronze from the high pressure side to the low pressure side (barely perceptible with a lightweight fan, especially if verticaly mounted).
    The oil will eventually leak sideways from the bearing, and the lubrication mode becomes very marginal. (It is already marginal lubrication anyway).

On startup from cold, there is not enough oil there to maintain a micro-thin oil film, so there is metal to metal contact with noisy rubbing noises.
    After it has been running noisily, the bearing will have warmed up a bit, the residual oil in the porous bronze will have a lower viscosity.

During shutdown the fan shaft is in contact with the bush, and a smidgen of oil gets drawn into the bearing clearance by surface tension.

This is just enough to enable the fan to run quietly again for a while, or until next shut down.

This situation progressively gets worse as the oil is depleted until metal to metal rubbing occurs all the time and the fan has to be thrown out.

Foundation Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Could be hitting something or its old. Where are you in NZ??
    Whangarei.

I have now had a reasonably good read of the PDF file, but it looks like the CPU fan is the only one within the system. In any case the dismanteling procedure is well beyond my capabilities :-(

But, I dont understand how only a CPU fan is installed, and moreso how the CPU is not now dead through it being daily overheated.

Anyway Speedy, thanks for the help. Looks like a call to Acer is coming up.

Foundation Member

[QUOTE=Terry Porritt;999241]This is my take on this common phenomenon

The fan probably has porous bronze (Oilite) bushes. These bearings are initially filled with oil using a vacuum technique. When running normally the oil recirculates within the bronze from the high pressure side to the low pressure side (barely perceptible with a lightweight fan, especially if verticaly mounted).

Well Terry, brilliant description and makes sense as well. But back to Acer she goes. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    Whangarei.

I have now had a reasonably good read of the PDF file, but it looks like the CPU fan is the only one within the system. In any case the dismanteling procedure is well beyond my capabilities :-(

But, I dont understand how only a CPU fan is installed, and moreso how the CPU is not now dead through it being daily overheated.

Anyway Speedy, thanks for the help. Looks like a call to Acer is coming up.
    I guess noisy doesn't mean its not working - it must be working enough to do the job.
    This is why I love full size PCs - a doddle to open up and fix.

what about the psu fan?

they are the main intake for airflow within those all in one systems arent they?

will probably be full of shi.. dust and stuff!