Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member learning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    369

    Default Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    On Windows XP everytime someone log offs and logs back in next time the desktop icons get reaaranged by themselves. The icons are rearranged to personal preference but next time Windows rearranges it randomly on desktop

    Currently "Align to grid" and "Auto arrange" options are both unchecked when right clicking desktop >Arrange icons.

    Is there something to stop windows from re arranging the icons itself ?

  2. #2
    Member Zippity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    3,126

    Default Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Place icons where you want them to appear and right click 'align to grid'

  3. #3
    Junior Member learning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Place icons where you want them to appear and right click 'align to grid'
    You do that and then next time you login again to PC, everything is rearranged again

  4. #4
    Member Zippity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    3,126

    Default Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by learning View Post
    You do that and then next time you login again to PC, everything is rearranged again
    Make sure 'auto arrange' is unticked.

    'Show Desktop Icons' is also ticked - nothing else

  5. #5
    Junior Member learning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Make sure 'auto arrange' is unticked.

    'Show Desktop Icons' is also ticked - nothing else
    Auto arrange is unticked and Show desktop icons is ticked

    I am not sure if this is just checking unchecking issue

  6. #6
    Member Zippity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    3,126

    Default Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Maybe there are other settings that come into play

    I'll leave it to the experts to advise you.

  7. #7
    Senior Member pctek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Wild West
    Posts
    21,773

    Default Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Download TweakUI


    You need to set the maximum number of folders that Windows can remember to a higher value. TweakUI has that listed under > Explorer > Customizations. Default is 400, most people increase it to 4000 or 8000.

    If you want to do the job without the help of TweakUI:

    Windows XP
    Delete the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\Bags
    Re-create the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam
    Create and then set the BagMRU Size registry value to 5000 in the registry subkeys that you created in Step 2.
    wipe your paws.

  8. #8
    Junior Member learning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Redmond
    Posts
    369

    Smile Re: Desktop Icons Rearranging by themselves

    Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Download TweakUI


    You need to set the maximum number of folders that Windows can remember to a higher value. TweakUI has that listed under > Explorer > Customizations. Default is 400, most people increase it to 4000 or 8000.

    If you want to do the job without the help of TweakUI:

    Windows XP
    Delete the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell \BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\Bags
    Re-create the following registry subkeys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam
    Create and then set the BagMRU Size registry value to 5000 in the registry subkeys that you created in Step 2.
    Thanks pctek

    I will try that and see if that works

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop Icons
    By Poppa John in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-12-2010, 10:26 AM
  2. desktop icons
    By Mirddes in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-05-2005, 06:11 PM
  3. Rearranging the Startup Program ORDER???
    By almunro in forum PressF1
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22-04-2005, 09:50 PM
  4. Desktop Icons
    By Baldy in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2002, 09:22 PM
  5. Desktop Icons
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-08-2000, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •