Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Question Chrome keeps locking up lappie

Hi
    It started a few days ago - I'd go into GMail whilst in Chrome and within about 30 seconds everything locks up totally. CTRL>ALT>DEL to get to Task Manager doesn't work, so hold down power button. I tried a few things but eventually uninstalled it using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled it from the stand alone installer. (Just prior to that I had tried using Chrome and Gmail after booting into safe mode with networking and it seemed to behave itself)

The new install seemed to work for a while and then went screwey again. I clicked on the spanner and "About Google Chrome" and it more or less straight away told me it was installing an update (didn't ask if I wanted to). I finally ended up with Ver 9.0.597.94. This is even worse since it's locking in Internet Banking and F1, and also in safe mode.

I'm now back in FF (and noticing the drop in speed). What do I try next? I'm using Vista Home Premium SP 2.

Thanks
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Default Re: Chrome keeps locking up lappie

Does it lock up on pages that have just basic Text and Pictures ?

You can try updating your Flash Player - that may be causing the problem.

I think Chrome is meant to have a built in flash player, But it may be working incorrectly ? Easy way ti find out, open chrome, in the address bar type in about: plugins (No space all one word, damn simile comes up with :P ) look for the flash -- whats it using ? just checked on mine Heres what I got
    Last edited by wainuitech; 10-02-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Edit: Have tried creating a new profile by following the instructions here but it still locks.

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

And flash was updated the other day

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Does it lock up on pages that have just basic Text and Pictures ?

You can try updating your Flash Player - that may be causing the problem.

I think Chrome is meant to have a built in flash player, But it may be working incorrectly ?
    Well, doe Gmail count as basic text? Hang on, I'll try Wikipedia.

By Flash Player do you mean Adobe - I don't use that and the one I've got installed has been there a while

John Glenn

Doesnt sound like a chrome issue to me, if it locks up within 30 secs. Post a HJT log, and we'll see whats in it. Does it lock up, with any other browser?

Sounds like you've got something, if it works fine in safe mode

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Doesnt sound like a chrome issue to me, if it locks up within 30 secs. Post a HJT log, and we'll see whats in it. Does it lock up, with any other browser?

Sounds like you've got something, if it works fine in safe mode
    Went to Wikipedia and it was OK. Went to Howtogeek forum and it locked.

It used to be OK in safe mode but it locked up in safe mode after the update. Will do the HJT log now

Working fine in FF

John Glenn

Here's the HJT log Speedy

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 12:08:58 p.m., on 10/02/2011
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\System32\smss.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wininit.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\services.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\TAMSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zentimo\ZentimoService.exe
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\WPF\Presen tationFontCache.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO BackUp\COSService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\MAGIX Services\Database_60405\bin\FABS.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO BackUp\SynchronizationService.exe
    C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version6\TeamViewer_Service.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER\TNaviSrv.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\TODDSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TosCoSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\SMARTLogService\TosIPCSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\SmartFaceV\SmartFaceVWatchSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\NisSrv.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\processgovernor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\processlasso.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\TrueSuite Access Manager\usbnotify.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\Program Files\TrueSuite Access Manager\PwdBank.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\HDMICtrlMan\HDMICtrlMan.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.Exe
    C:\Windows\tsnp2std.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
    C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Rainlendar2\Rainlendar2.exe
    C:\Program Files\xNeat Clipboard Manager\xNeatClipMngr.exe
    C:\Program Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zentimo\Zentimo.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\TOSCDSPD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinSplit Revolution\WinSplit.exe
    C:\Program Files\Just Gestures\JustGestures.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sticky Password\stpass.exe
    C:\Program Files\Aston2\Aston2.exe
    C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\HDMICtrlMan\HCMSoundChanger.exe
    C:\Program Files\AltDesk\AltDesk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Gmail Notifier\Gmail Notifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belvedere\Belvedere.exe
    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtMng.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosA2dp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtHid.exe
    C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtHsp.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\HJT\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.6.5805.1910\s wg.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C90DBB52-46E0-4E65-92BC-799ADEE54C86} - C:\PROGRA~1\Flash2X\FLASHP~1\FLASHP~1.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] NDSTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cfFncEnabler.exe] cfFncEnabler.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPwrMain] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TPwrMain.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HSON] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\TBS\HSON.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] %ProgramFiles%\Toshiba\SmoothView\SmoothView.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00TCrdMain] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\FlashCards\TCrdMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ITSecMng] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\ItSecMng.exe /START
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UsbMonitor] "C:\Program Files\TrueSuite Access Manager\usbnotify.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PwdBank] "C:\Program Files\TrueSuite Access Manager\PwdBank.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HDMICtrlMan] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\HDMICtrlMan\HDMICtrlMan.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Internet Security] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareTerminator] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tsnp2std] C:\Windows\tsnp2std.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrayServer] C:\Program Files\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_17_Plus_Download_Versio n\TrayServer_en.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Rainlendar2] C:\Program Files\Rainlendar2\Rainlendar2.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [xNeat Clipboard Manager] C:\Program Files\xNeat Clipboard Manager\xNeatClipMngr.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ShowBatteryBar] "C:\Program Files\BatteryBar\ShowBatteryBar.exe" show
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [C:\Program Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe] C:\Program Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Zentimo xStorage Manager] C:\Program Files\Zentimo\Zentimo.exe /startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\TOSCDSPD.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\John Warren\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.ex e" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Winsplit] C:\Program Files\WinSplit Revolution\WinSplit.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Just Gestures] C:\Program Files\Just Gestures\JustGestures.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StickyPassword] C:\Program Files\Sticky Password\stpass.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aston2] "C:\Program Files\Aston2\Aston2.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AltDesk] C:\Program Files\AltDesk\AltDesk.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Gmail Notifier.exe] C:\Program Files\Gmail Notifier\Gmail Notifier.exe /startup
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: AutorunsDisabled
    O4 - Startup: BatteryBar.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Belvedere.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belvedere\Belvedere.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth Manager.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_E117 12C84EA7E12B.dll/cmsidewiki.html
    O9 - Extra button: Skype Plug-In - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype Plug-In - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL C:\Windows\system32\guard32.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Authentec memory manager service (Authentec memory manager) - AuthenTec Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\TAMSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
    O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
    O23 - Service: Comodo Online Storage Service (COSService.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO BackUp\COSService.exe
    O23 - Service: FABS - Helping agent for MAGIX media database (Fabs) - MAGIX AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\MAGIX Services\Database_60405\bin\FABS.exe
    O23 - Service: Firebird Server - MAGIX Instance (FirebirdServerMAGIXInstance) - MAGIX® - C:\Program Files\Common Files\MAGIX Services\Database_60405\bin\fbserver.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.9.1005.12335 (GoogleDesktopManager-051210-111108) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
    O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartFaceVWatchSrv - Toshiba - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\SmartFaceV\SmartFaceVWatchSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield Service (sp_rssrv) - Crawler.com - C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
    O23 - Service: Comodo BackUp Service (SynchronizationService.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO BackUp\SynchronizationService.exe
    O23 - Service: TeamViewer 6 (TeamViewer6) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version6\TeamViewer_Service.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Navi Support Service (TNaviSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER\TNaviSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Optical Disc Drive Service (TODDSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\TODDSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Power Saver (TosCoSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TosCoSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA SMART Log Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\SMARTLogService\TosIPCSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: Zentimo Assistant (ZentimoService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Zentimo\ZentimoService.exe

--
    End of file - 14077 bytes

John Glenn

Hmm, I think you posted this a while ago. I would tick these then tick fix checked

Close browsers

If you've uninstalled this, tick this

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C90DBB52-46E0-4E65-92BC-799ADEE54C86} - C:\PROGRA~1\Flash2X\FLASHP~1\FLASHP~1.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"

I dont think you need so many anti-spyware programs running on startup. I would uninstall these

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareTerminator] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot

How much ram is installed?
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 10-02-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Hmm, I think you posted this a while ago. I would tick these then tick fix checked

Close browsers

If you've uninstalled this, tick this

I dont think you need so many anti-spyware programs running on startup

How much ram is installed?
    That was run just before i posted it

By "tick" I take it you mean "tick and click 'Fix checked' "?

4 gig Ram but only utilising what 32 bit system will use.

John Glenn