Default Listen to your own voice as you speak to microphone (in real time)?

Back in the good old analog times I used my cassette-walkman for this: pressing REC+PLAY would cause the device to not only record my mic input - my voice - on the tape, but also to simultaneously feed my voice to the headphones, thus enabling me to hear myself speaking as another person would: objectively, I suppose.

I used this technique when talking to my Japanese GF and friends to check and improve my own Japanese pronunciation. I also remember foregoing the tape altogether (for the sake of privacy): I'd remove the cassette, then press REC+PLAY while holding down the little lever that normally is pushed back by the record-protect tab on the cassette, to 'trick' the device into feeding me my own voice without recording anything..

Anyway, FFWD to the digital age: now I'd like to be able to do the same thing using my PC, but it seems that it is not so simple.. Do I need some extra software to Listen to my own voice via the headphones as I speak to the microphone (in real time)?

Thanks!

Supreme evil person

Default Re: Listen to your own voice as you speak to microphone (in real time)?

Hey FutureTiger,

I'm not too sure how to go about this exactly (i.e. through headphones) but I have noticed if you enable Microphone Boost in Recording Controls in the Mixer (should be a tick box) and you turn up the speakers most of the way up you can hear your voice (or tapping) through the speakers.

Hope this helps

By the way, welcome to PressF1

Thank you for your suggestion, but I wonder, is it platform-specific? I have Win XP and this does not work for me... besides, even if it did, it would not allow me to listen AND record, correct?

test