Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior

Default DVDs Won't Play in HP Pavilion E drive

Windows XP SP3 HP Pavilion E drive HL-DT-ST-DVDRRWGWA-4166B
    I can play and burn CD's Ok but have a problem with DVD's which started recently. Tried various DVD's eg PC World, dubbed DVD's from my Sony recorder, and games. There is no error message, the disks don't start spinning at all. The one disk that does play is from Big Fish Games which has some game demos, it autoplays immediately.
    PC Doctor gave error codes DV523-1, 2 and 3. I may have changed the DVD Region in error at some point as the current region is 1 and there is only one alteration left. Are there some things I can work through to fix the problem. Thanks
    Last edited by bellbird; 13-11-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: DVDs Won't Play in HP Pavilion E drive

Sometimes older DVD drives wear out and some DVD's cant read correctly.DVD's are far more accurate than a CD, so CD's can handle wear better. If it reads CD's Ok then it may simply have worn out OR the laser/Lens needs a good clean.

It is also possible that some of the DVD's are region locked. meaning you have to have the correct region to play the DVD's.

If you are in NZ, then we are region 4 heres all the different regions.

You only get 5 changes, so next time a region DVD is played, it will lock in that region.

Was there any software installed or removed, or any updates put in the the problem started ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Only things I can think of, are there any cd writing / emulation programs on the hdd? ie: Daemontools / any Roxio cd writing programs on the hdd??

Programs like these, can stuff the cd/dvd up. Or the dvd itself maybe stuffed.

Sounds like my stereo.

It can play anything (cd's I've burned, cd's I've brought, DVD's I've burned myself, but wont play DVD's I brought). Something is probably out of alignment
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 13-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Senior

All of the dvds played ok before this problem. I wonder if first up I should try and set the DVD region to 4. I'll check my notes about updates etc. No Daemontools or Roxio programs.

Senior

Haven't got very far sorting out the problems. I tried to set the DVD Region to 4 for N.Z. but got "unable to update region setting, make sure drive contains a region 4 media (I used a disk from PC World mag) and you have admin priviliges (which I do of course)". Sometimes the drive spins and then it slows and spins up again. I ran the MS Fix It and afterwards the PC World disk opened but I couldn't select anything from it, and after ejecting and reinserting the disk it wouldn't open at all. I'll clean lens as suggested and I guess think about getting a tech. What is the best way to go about cleaning the lens. Hope I don't have to replace the drive, it hasn't had very much use. Thanks.

If you want to change it to Zone 4, you need a zone 4 dvd. Not a normal DVD (it doesnt have a zone on it)

Senior

I'm going to take the computer to the retailer for the dvd/cd drive to be checked. Would you believe that my extended warranted expired 9 days ago - hopefully there is some flexibility (or is that wishful thinking?)

Extended warranties are NOT from the manufacture,eg: HP

They are a rip off that the store uses with some third party, normally some insurance company after the real manufactures warranty expires. Usually you have to jump through hoops to get it actioned, and being expired even by 9 days I would bet they would say no-go - its expired.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

pcsourcepoint

What player are you using? MediaSmart? You could try HP's customer care trouble shooting site, which also has a detection driver/serial no. feature on their huge site. Or enter model then go to solve a problem.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)

Senior

Speedy, you asked about Roxio - is this same as Sonic? Been looking at what is on my computer and it's just confusing to me. I have, Sonic Express Labeller, Sonic My DVD Plus, Sonic Record Now etc, Muvee AutoProducer, Intervideo Home theatre and Intervideo Win DVD Player which all came with the computer, never updated and which I don't use. I've installed ImgBurn and AnyVideo Converter. Are there programs there that I could maybe uninstall.
    kawahai chaser, not sure what you mean by "what player" I seem to have so much stuff, not sure what is what. I have RealPlayer?? Thanks
    Last edited by bellbird; 14-11-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: additional info