Thread: Google Bombing

Correct my English!
    Cycling, Running or Swimming in Hawkes Bay

Default Google Bombing

Does it work if someone repetitively googles up a particular term (e.g. PressF1) and clicks on the desired link (e.g. pressf1.pcworld.co.nz)?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

Default Re: Google Bombing

What are you asking?

Do you mean search engine rankings which I suspect you do?

Correct my English!
    Cycling, Running or Swimming in Hawkes Bay

One of the websites that I am taking care of has been getting an unusual high amount of traffic from Google search result page. When I dig through bbclone, I noticed that the searched terms have nothing to do with the website. I am wondering if someone is trying to Google Bomb the website by associating it with irrelevant terms.

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Click-through rates from the search results page make no difference to your Google ranking for those terms *unless* the user is clicking on ads to reach your site, or they are clicking on links that redirect via google (some sitemap links do this). You can tell whether or not this is the case by looking at the referrer in your web server's logs, and also by searching those terms yourself and checking whether the result links point at your domain or to Google's.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

pcsourcepoint

You could try a bit of back link analysis, to see the number and source of links pointing back. I use SEO for Firefox Add on, which uses the popular Yahoo Explorer for displaying back links - which generally show more than what Google does (using link:yoursite.com). Possibly your url link may have been used in a popular forum or social site (has happened to one of my sites)

As noted, it's generally irrelevant on the number of clicks for ranking up in the search results, unless sometimes if it's an authoritative domain (think trademe, amazon, wikipedia - often with several sub domains), often with relevant authoritative back links, unique content with dozens of search engine targeted/popular primary and related keyword terms.

I have found 50x visitor hits occasionally - often from social/referral type sites, e.g. Stumbleupon a few times. If your sites are using Adwords, it's known for competitors to purposely click on those search display ads (or content network ads - if used - i.e. adsense, google ad networks, etc) to rapidly increase costs of live ad campaigns. I had to close one of my ad campaigns, as I suspected someone/network was doing just that. My ad costs sky rocketed.

Using Google Analytics and the easier Google Webmaster Tools can easily find search terms/back links/sources/referrals, and much more to see what's happening from traffic and visitor hits.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)