Correct my English!

Default How to auto-update "figure number" as more figures are added (Word)

Hey all,

On a Microsoft Word document, I have got several figures placed in them. Each of the figures has been labeled with a caption "Figure X: ____" using the "Insert Caption" feature under "References". "X" is a number that is auto-generated by Microsoft Word, which is "X + 1" of the previous figure.

The problem that I am facing right now is that when a figure is removed, Microsoft Word doesn't automatically reupdate "X". Using an example to illustrate the situation better:

Figures: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    When figure 3 has been removed, Microsoft Word doesn't push up figure 4 to 3 --> i.e.

Figures: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
    IT'S BUGGING ME!

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

Default Re: How to auto-update "figure number" as more figures are added (Word)

Which version of Word and is this a numbered list like bulleted except numbered or what?

Human

From the Microsoft Word Help:

"By default, Word automatically updates fields when a document is opened. That way, information stays up to date.

To manually update all the fields in the main body of a document, press CTRL+A, and then press F9. Fields in headers, footers, or text boxes must be updated separately. Click within the header, footer, or text box, press CTRL+A, and then press F9."

Correct my English!

That sounds like a solution that I am looking for, stevie_boy. Thanks

Snorkbox: Word 2007, with auto numbering generated at the front page (i.e "List of Figures")

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

pcsourcepoint

The above mentioned should work; Another way might be to insert a cross reference (to a reference type - including bookmarked text/items), in some situations. Bit tricky to explain - but maybe worth looking up.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)

Correct my English!

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_boy View Post
    From the Microsoft Word Help:

"By default, Word automatically updates fields when a document is opened. That way, information stays up to date.

To manually update all the fields in the main body of a document, press CTRL+A, and then press F9. Fields in headers, footers, or text boxes must be updated separately. Click within the header, footer, or text box, press CTRL+A, and then press F9."
    Thanks, that works. Back to my dissertation.

Human

Quote Originally Posted by Jamuz View Post
    Thanks, that works. Back to my dissertation.
    No worries. Good luck