Mixed Member

Default Re-Using A Validation Code

Forgive me if this is a silly question but I've just seen someone on another forum asking for an Office upgrade code.

I thought that Microsoft (and others) software had to be validated online in order to work. And if the same code was used twice but from different computers, the software would be instructed by Redmond not to work.

What actually happens?

Default Re: Re-Using A Validation Code

As I understand it, about every 6 months or so MS will allow a previously used activation code to be used again - the assumptions and justifications being that at times it is necessary to reinstall - upgraded hardware, dead HDD, corrupted installation - whatever the reason, a very limited rate of code re-use is permitted.

However, what you've witnessed in the other forum will likely be illegal, and may well fail activation / WGA checks.

Wanderer

I got the Academic (student version with student ID).
    I did the upgrade today, got the code yesterday

There is a website that you go to, with that it request the set of numbers, which you go to any Office application, Office Button, then like (Word Options) into Advanced I think ... you cick sometihng in to get that. I cannot do that now, cos I have upgraded to 2010 which does not have it. There are however full instructions on the above site.

MS advised me the Product ID Key on the webpage, this is also sent to your email address.

The code I think picks up your hardware info and generate a code, so if you are reinstalling on the same PC it *should* be okay. The Home Student version allows 3 licenses doesn't it? Even the academic version now allows a PC and a laptop. 2007 didn't.

Never came into a Validation code, we just did it online.

Mixed Member

Yes the Student Edition of MS Office allows 3 different computers from what I've seen. I suppose that could be extended to pirated versions if MS takes no notice.

If MS is able to identify each single specific computer which its software is first installed on, surely they can also turn off the software on new installs on other machines.

I guess not. Otherwise this stuff wouldn't be available on torrents?

Just because it ends up on torrents, it doesn't mean it'll work / activate after you install it

Thats right - See it all the time -- "OH a mate gave it to me its legit" -- Yeah right.

Talk about DUMB (dont know exactly how true this was as the person seemed " not quite all there" ) - Actually had one person tell me his friend called MS saying they got it from a torrent site, which said it was legit and then complained it came up as illegal.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post

I thought that Microsoft software had to be validated online in order to work. And if the same code was used twice but from different computers, the software would be instructed by Redmond not to work.

What actually happens?
    What happens is it usually won't do the online validation and instead gives you the option to phone. When you phone you get automated questions:
    1)Is this being reinstalled on the same PC? (answer yes - answer no causes it to abort)
    2)Have you uninstalled it from the other PC (which contradicts 1. really but if you choose No here you get a real person interrogating you.) But if you say Yes it all goes ahead nicely.
    Of course if you did this on 2 separate PCs one of them at least would end in tears the minute it did one of the auto updates.
    wipe your paws.