Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need a brain upgrade: No knowledge on Networks

I've done small searches and no idea where to start or how to get the information I want.

My problem is I have a new HP Presario CQ3140AN (win7 64bit) and a very old Omnibook XE3 (winXP 32bit).

And I really need a way to connect these two products together to enable filesharing.

I know I can go hardwire, wireless and bluetooth... but having know idea what any of those are, I don't know the best way to progress forward. I do have one bluetooth dongle, which I purchased with the computer, however no idea how to connect that and my phone together so gave it away.

Any suggestions on where to start, what's compatible, sidenotes or anything welcome.

Default Re: Need a brain upgrade: No knowledge on Networks

Well you cant do bluetooth. Its range isnt that long. So, its either wired, or wireless. How far apart are they? What about firewalls? Any installed besides windows firewall? Have you decided WHAT you want?

Wired or wireless? I could probably help you using teamviewer remotely. But you would have to figure out which one you want to use first
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 02-05-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Ive been meaning to get Comodo protection for my PC, the laptop has nothing at all other than WinXP, which I believe should be disabled.

Personally I have no knowledge on what I should go in terms of wired/wireless.

Correct my English!

What wireless hardware have you got currently besides the bluetooth dongle? Does the laptop have a wireless function?

Cheers

[Edit]: And the distance between the two computers?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

How do you connect to the internet? Dialup? Broadband? Do you have a wireless modem / router?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamuz View Post
    What wireless hardware have you got currently besides the bluetooth dongle?
    Currently nothing, since I don't know anything about networks, I haven't brought anything, I brought the Bluetooth thing simply cos Telecom (the shop) told me I would likely like it.
    Does the laptop have a wireless function?
    To my knowledge no, it does have the Ethernet plug and another smaller one, however the PC only has the Ethernet plug.
    And the distance between the two computers?
    Simply saying that means I likely will require wireless.

So in short I think we got one step lol! Thanks, now to understand everything else I need.

[edit=1]
    @Speedy: Broadband Wired modem (Dynalink RTA1320E).
    Last edited by AnokFero; 02-05-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Is the broadband modem near enough to both computers to plug them both into it with an Ethernet cable? how many Ethernet ports are on the router? The smaller plug on the laptop is for a phone line if using dial up

They are side by side, using the same table... at least for now. Jamuz suggestion did spark that I likely would use the laptop in my bedroom more often if I had the ability thou.

The router has one only, and no usb connector... however I do have a old one in which I can plug in and that has 1 ethernet and usb connector. To my knowledge thou, I use that to share files between pc/laptop... then again, I wouldn't know either way.

I would buy another modem/router thats got 4 ports and wireless. Since by the looks of it the RTA1320E has only got 1 port and 1 USB. And no wireless. Or you may need a switch (if you want wired). And I wouldnt use USB to connect to the internet. You'll probably get cut off, more than anything else - its not reliable. BUT, since you've got Win7, I would get connectify. Since it can act as a hotspot / and an access point I think.

I dont know whats in its options. But if it supports WPA / WPA2 security, it should be OK. (As long as the laptop supports either one that is). BUT, if the laptop doesnt have wireless on it, you'll have to buy a wireless (Wi-fi) adapter first
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 02-05-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by AnokFero View Post
    Ive been meaning to get Comodo protection for my PC, the laptop has nothing at all other than WinXP, which I believe should be disabled.

Personally I have no knowledge on what I should go in terms of wired/wireless.
    If they are next door to each other you can just use wired network cables. Like fat telephone cables. There is a box thing for the internet, some of them have 4 diff network jacks in them and some also have a wireless or 2 wireless antennas so you can connect the computers wireless.

If they are next door to each other go wired.
    If they are like diff bedrooms or diff rooms go wireless unless you wanna drill thru walls and install wall sockets (think offices) or you want a loose 10(+) metre length cable with the risk of tripping people up (!).

Wired is still the preferred option for many offices. They are faster and more secure and less fluctuations. About the same price though if the computers are far away. Long network cables vs paid for wireless equipment. Offices can employ cables for a 100m length or extended to 200m with a repeater thing.
    Last edited by Nomad; 02-05-2010 at 10:05 PM.