Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USB "Y" Splitter (from Motherboard USB socket)

I'm in Christchurch trying to buy an internal USB splitter, to mount a Card Reader designed to fit into a spare Optical Drive Bay.

The M/B is Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R ATX LGA1 156 DDR3, and both internal sockets have been used for the four front panel USB sockets.

I've rung around and the responses vary from "Don't do it, buy our external USB card reader" to "Why would you want an internal socket?"

Nobody has yet said, "Yes, sure, how long would you like the cables to be?" (Answer: at least 12cm.)

Anyone in Christchurch know a good place to try?

It's going into a friend's computer. He already has an external USB multi-card reader, but it makes good sense for him to have one mounted in the drive bay.

And just in case:
    The motherboard socket is rectangular with two rows of five connectors, one blocked off as a key.
    The case is Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 ATX Full Tower.

Default Re: USB "Y" Splitter (from Motherboard USB socket)

Probably NOT a good idea to try and split it. One of the devices will probably fail

It'd be better if you get something like this. Some of them plug into the back ports

You can't just "split" a USB connection - you will need a hub or something to plug multiple devices into one port.

The simple solution would be for you to simply unplug 2 of the 4 front USB connectors from your motherboard, and use that for your card reader.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

There are some PCI USB cards that give you more internal plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

True, I've got one here. But the connection is like an external port (not like the USB header on the mobo). So, it wont work, unless you've got the right cable to plug into it

I am sure I have seen one somewhere that had an internal on it as well as the usual external ones out the back of the case. Just not sure where.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

Assuming I'm understanding your post correctly, what you're actually looking for is two of these. I'm not sure who sells them in New Zealand, but I'm sure someone does... or if not, it should be easy enough to import.

The motherboard header you describe in your post is actually just two USB ports (the cable I've linked to above will connect to one of them), plus an extra ground pin.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Speedy and somebody:
    It can't be split? That would explain why I can't find a splitter. :-)

Erayd:
    No, that link is a USB Header to USB A Socket. The Cardreader is designed to connect directly to a USB Header on the motherboard.
    Excellent link, though. It's handy seeing pictures of all the things that won't work that Amazon won't ship to NZ. (What's the smiley that says, "This is just wry and appreciative humour, no sarcasm intended?") I hoped that the "1" on the "4 + 1" on this PCI Card might be a Header, but it looks to my elderly eyes more like a plain USB A.

nedkelly:
    Some time ago I put a PCI Card in a friend's machine that fed a panel in the A Drive bay that provided 6 USB A ports. I'm almost certain it had two USB Headers on the card, but it was long ago and I don't even remember who I did it for. A PCI Card with USB Headers does seem like the sort of thing that should exist, though.

Somebody:
    Yes, I've suggested that he sacrifice two of the four front panel ports so he can connect the card reader, which has one USB A port as well as the card slots. (I'd still need an "Extension Cord" of about 12cm to reach the header on the M/B, though.)

However, he doesn't want to lose the existing ports. After all, the computer only has the four ports on the front panel, and eight USB 2 and two USB 3 ports on the back. Together with his unpowered 4 port hub, his powered seven port hub and the fancy power strip with phone protection and a built-in powered 6 port hub, where would he plug in his other USB card reader? (I don't think they make the smiley I want right now.)
    Still, the "customer" is always right. If he wants it, I'll try to find it.

Thanks for the responses, though. All very useful and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyCat View Post
    Erayd:
    No, that link is a USB Header to USB A Socket.
    If you brought a USB PCI card, some of them have the A socket on them (internal connection). Thats what Erayd was talking about.

You can get card readers here you know. Only other thing you can do / thats going to work, is check out the modster site I posted. As some of those readers have cables long enough. So, you can plug it into a back USB port

Quote Originally Posted by MistyCat View Post
    Speedy and somebody:
    It can't be split? That would explain why I can't find a splitter. :-)

Erayd:
    No, that link is a USB Header to USB A Socket. The Cardreader is designed to connect directly to a USB Header on the motherboard.
    Excellent link, though. It's handy seeing pictures of all the things that won't work that Amazon won't ship to NZ. (What's the smiley that says, "This is just wry and appreciative humour, no sarcasm intended?") I hoped that the "1" on the "4 + 1" on this PCI Card might be a Header, but it looks to my elderly eyes more like a plain USB A.

nedkelly:
    Some time ago I put a PCI Card in a friend's machine that fed a panel in the A Drive bay that provided 6 USB A ports. I'm almost certain it had two USB Headers on the card, but it was long ago and I don't even remember who I did it for. A PCI Card with USB Headers does seem like the sort of thing that should exist, though.

Somebody:
    Yes, I've suggested that he sacrifice two of the four front panel ports so he can connect the card reader, which has one USB A port as well as the card slots. (I'd still need an "Extension Cord" of about 12cm to reach the header on the M/B, though.)

However, he doesn't want to lose the existing ports. After all, the computer only has the four ports on the front panel, and eight USB 2 and two USB 3 ports on the back. Together with his unpowered 4 port hub, his powered seven port hub and the fancy power strip with phone protection and a built-in powered 6 port hub, where would he plug in his other USB card reader? (I don't think they make the smiley I want right now.)
    Still, the "customer" is always right. If he wants it, I'll try to find it.

Thanks for the responses, though. All very useful and interesting.

This is the closet thing I could find which would work in your situation:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...5f53cbe557a4ea

The header port at the far end connects to the motherboard. One of the 3 in the middle can connect to the 2x front case USB ports, and the other (1 or 2) can be used for your card reader.

It is quite expensive though, for what it is...
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.