Default External Hard Drive not detecting in Win 7

I have a 500GB Transcend USB external hard drive.
    I wanted to format it in FAT32 so my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard could see it as well as my PC. When I went to format the hard drive on my Win7 machine it only gave me NTFS or EX-FAT as options. I formatted in EX-FAT.

No probs, my PC still saw the hard drive

I then connected the external harddrive to the MacBook which picked it up straight away. I wanted to backup the Mac so I copied the entire Mac HDD onto the hard drive, then went and ran Time Capsule on the Mac pointing to the external hard drive.

Finished, I ejected the hard drive and went and plugged it back into my PC. I wanted to transfer the backups I made to an internal hard drive.
    The drive is not being detected now. It shows up in 'Device and Printers' but not as a drive in explorer.

Default Re: External Hard Drive not detecting in Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by supersi View Post
    I have a 500GB Transcend USB external hard drive.
    I wanted to format it in FAT32 so my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard could see it as well as my PC. When I went to format the hard drive on my Win7 machine it only gave me NTFS or EX-FAT as options. I formatted in EX-FAT.

No probs, my PC still saw the hard drive

I then connected the external harddrive to the MacBook which picked it up straight away. I wanted to backup the Mac so I copied the entire Mac HDD onto the hard drive, then went and ran Time Capsule on the Mac pointing to the external hard drive.

Finished, I ejected the hard drive and went and plugged it back into my PC. I wanted to transfer the backups I made to an internal hard drive.
    The drive is not being detected now. It shows up in 'Device and Printers' but not as a drive in explorer.
    Time Machine will usually reformat the HD in HFS + format, as it cannot - plug the drive into your macbook, Open Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) and select the drive partition in the left hand column. There is an information panel at the bottom which will show what format the drive is.

Windows PC's can't read HFS+ J, so your best bet would be to download MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/macdrive) . It integrates into the Windows shell and allows it to read files from HFS+ formatted drives. A free alternative is HFS+Explorer (http://www.ogasawalrus.com/blog/node/208), however, it doesn't integrate into the shell.

To check if Windows can even see the partition on your external, plug it in and Right Click Computer>Manage>Disk Management. It should show up as "Unknown"

Otherwise repartition the drive using Disk Utility, one partition in HFS+ for time machine and one FAT32 Partition for your shared data. To do this, open disk utility again, select the drive (not the partition) and choose the partition tab, then select 2 partitions with an MBR layout. Format Partition 1 in FAT32 and Partition 2 in HFS+.

Good luck
    Last edited by baabits; 31-01-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling haha