Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Japanese Imports + GPS

Doing some 'homework' about Jap imports and notice that quite a number of them have GPS built-in with good big screens. But I was told that these GPS won't work in NZ! Can't we just load the NZ maps to buitl-in GPS? Is this possible at all?

Can some experienced people here shed some lights on this issue, please.

Wanderer

Default Re: Japanese Imports + GPS

Depends on what brand and model and then how does one connect it to a PC etc .. or does it use memory card.

For eg. JP is not a popular place for outside JP GPS.
    Navman does not support any Asian countries. TomTom doesn't support JP either I think.

I think in-car Japan GPS might just be that - it is designed for the local market Japan. When they export it, it is old enough anyway ...

You may find that on the ones that require a DVD to work, the "get it going" cost is astounding, and really only practical for someone fluent in Japanese and driving in Japan. Get a Tomtom or Garmin, use the money saved to buy your next set of tires, enjoy good navigation and use the built in GPS screen just to hold post-it notes.
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Depends on what brand and model and then how does one connect it to a PC etc .. or does it use memory card.

For eg. JP is not a popular place for outside JP GPS.
    Navman does not support any Asian countries. TomTom doesn't support JP either I think.

I think in-car Japan GPS might just be that - it is designed for the local market Japan. When they export it, it is old enough anyway ...
    I suspect bkT is talking about the GPS units built into the stereo headunit. I have spent countless hours trying to find a way to get a the GPS on a family member's imported Toyota vehicle to work, but it appears that nobody produces a set of compatible maps for any country outside Japan. The closest I got was finding some documentation about how to install the GPS unit (it's a two part unit, with one piece sitting under the passenger seat which has a CD/DVD drive in it for loading maps, and the screen/headunit which is mounted where a car stereo normally goes) and wire it up, but that's about it.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Wanderer

Yep, I was just saying that GPS for Japan can be uncommon from an outside country. Using the 2 egs.

Well assuming one can get the brand and model, how about contacting Japan?

Always thought you could buy a CD/DVD with a GPS map of NZ on it and replace the Jap one if it works like that? I remember in my dads old Toyota Hiace I would turn it on sometimes and just watch my little car drive over what looked like water on the GPS. Never did get anywhere. An Asian lady would sometimes say something as well.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by --Wolf-- View Post
    Always thought you could buy a CD/DVD with a GPS map of NZ on it and replace the Jap one if it works like that? I remember in my dads old Toyota Hiace I would turn it on sometimes and just watch my little car drive over what looked like water on the GPS. Never did get anywhere. An Asian lady would sometimes say something as well.
    That might of been no NZ map so the map was a single color.

If I take my Garmin handheld GPS overseas, it's all brown.

Quote Originally Posted by --Wolf-- View Post
    Always thought you could buy a CD/DVD with a GPS map of NZ on it and replace the Jap one if it works like that? . . . .
    That sounds like a good thought. Ever met anyone who has done that?
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.

Computer Technician

I know that with Mitsubishi's MMCS system (stereo, TV, GPS and climate control all integrated with a touchscreen), you can get third party discs that will convert the language onscreen to English, but it is impossible to change the maps to NZ maps.

As other people have mentioned, I beleive that NZ GPS Map CD's are hard to find if at all.

Considering what it might cost, if you need a GPS map, then maybe look at a Navman or similair which is at least portable between cars and when you sell your current car, you take the portable GPS with you.